Cummins owner thinking 6.0 for new truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins owner thinking 6.0 for new truck

Hi guys,
I'm in need of a new truck to haul our camper and I cant help but consider a Ford given the quality of the truck aswell as the selection. With that said, I recognize that there have been some issues with the 6.0 but I would like to hear from you guys as to how big of an issue these stories are to decide if its too big of a concern Fyi, I'm an above average backyard mechanic and not afraid of a challengeas long as I understand what I'm up against.

Any tips or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Long story short, yes there's issues but theres solutions for them all! Check out the "sticky" "bullet proofing the 6.0" . My opinion, I love the 6.0 I have done all the work myself under a pop up tent in the driveway, I've had two 05's and now how an 03' and wouldn't trade them for nothing,

What are you looking for in specific?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Don't be afraid, especially if you don't mind getting your hands dirty from time to time. Personally most of the issues are way over blown IMHO. Go look at trucks and get an Oasis report that shows the trucks entire service history. If its pretty clean with a good service record it should be a good truck. Fords can't be beat, the 6.0 on the other hand is a great motor if you maintain it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I'm completely familiar with the "overblown" deal as many have told me about the cummins LP/VP44 issues and some simple maintenance and minor mods almost completely eliminate those issue. I enjoy tearing into something as long as its for the better. If I can do some stuff to make the 6.0 depnedable I'm more than willing.

I'm looking at F350s and mostly in the 03, 04 & 05 years. The prices are really good as well as the selection.

Thanks so much for the tips and advice. I'm all ears..........john
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What year Cummins? I have a drag truck (work in progress) in the garage that would very nicely fit and use one. Back on subject, I own 2 Ford trucks, 1 6.0 and 1 Flintstone (hence the need for a Cummins), I love my Powerstroke. I personally would not recommend a 6.0 to someone who cannot make it their baby, fluids and filters need to be done ON time EVERY time. Unless you are pulling trailers or hot rodding it on a regular basis then you don't need to dump $5k into studs and all of that, instead buy yourself some quality gauges (some will disagree but I stay away from GlowShift and run ISSPRO, quality is usually in direct relation to cost) so that you can keep an eye on your temps, mainly the delta between your oil and coolant (while you save up for the studs, EGR yadda yadda yadda), more than I wanna say 6-8 difference and you could be looking at a problem. Very important item is a coolant filter so that you can eliminate a good amount of sediment and casting sand before it lodges itself in the coolers. This will get you started on what to budget for until I come back and post again with whatever I forgot (it's late, when I went back to work, my brain stayed on the couch with a beer)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 AM

I second the gauges, so many problems can be AVOIDED if you have gagues and watch them closely. I think the number one reason so many 6.0 owners have head gasket failure is from motors that get to hot (especially when the oil cooler goes). If your got a set of gagues then you can catch any problem before they become headaches. Get a good set that monitors EOT, ECT, Transmission temp, EGT, & fuel pressure are the biggies.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The main thing with owning is 6.0, like these guys all said, is maintenance. part of your maintenance will have to include a monitor to keep track of some important parameters. The problems that happen are blown way out of proportion by pretty much everyone. Ford haters used it as fuel to really bash the Super Duty, and I have heard plenty of 7.3 owners use it to try to convince us 6.0 guys that their older, slower trucks are somehow still better

(jk 7.3 guys, that motor is bulletproof)

Anyhow, read up on some of these threads and you will see that it doesn't take much to make a 6.0 into a great engine:

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

And here is a link to help you if you do decide to search for a used 6.0:

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

Finally, just to prove how not all 6.0s are junk trucks that die before 100k miles:

500,000 and counting

Most of the guys on this site are backyard mechanics like you and most of us work on our own trucks. The 6.0 is a pretty easy motor to work on IMO. Since you're not afraid to get dirty, I think it'd be a great truck for you
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

With everything Adam just said!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thanks man!

I put a lot of time into that post, but you know how I type...

Oh so slow
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yep

I know:

EDIT: That is why I have DOUBLE the posts as you in half a year less...

I didn't want to type all that sooooo....I just waited for you so I can just say, "YEP uhuh"

Nice to see you again today Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.