What is going on with my gas mileage? 11mpg??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is going on with my gas mileage? 11mpg???

I have an 06 F250 with a 6.0 Auto 4wd longbed, crew cab with a shell and a set of 35's. Ok, now with that said, when I first got my truck, I was getting 18-20 on the freeway. Now about a year later, I am getting 11mpg on the freeway and abuot 8 in the city. I drive this thing like a grandmother, and rarely get into it. It is totally stock with 55k on it. I was told this is totally not normal.

Also, I read about the head issues and the EGR issues. What can I do to avoid it? Basically my question is this... What will cause these things to go out? I know there are sceptics with this motor, nut I also know there are ways to keep this thing alive longer.

Thanks
dima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

These trucks like to be used, you need to get in to it every once in awhile. hammer it getting on the freeway, put turbo thru it's full operation. Turbo might be getting dirty.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

My truck has done this also. 03, auto, 4wd, 35s. Used to get 18-20, now 13. And by all means I don't baby it. It runs fine. Ideas? does stiction affect mileage? I dont have it that I can tell.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

There is a lack of sufficient information to make a clear assessment but a partially stuck open turbo will absolutely contribute to excessive fueling. It might be worthwhile to monitor the boost gauge for indications of boost values higher than "normal" or at least above what would ordinarily be expected. This is a subjective assessment obviously - there is no single figure or condition that is going to provide insight for this. If the exhaust backpressure sensor is fouled this might cause the PCM to increase the demand for boost from the turbo - and of course if boost is increased then fuel supply is also increased.

It's a guess of course but it usually is air, fuel, and combustion (spark for the gassers).

Jonathan
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys, I am now in the 10mpg range. I looked at the boost when driving today on the stock gauge, and it was fine (i.e. not stuck open). I reset the MPG gauge, and when driving down the freeway at CC set at 65, I was able to get 15mpg (I used to get over 18). Then I got into the city and mileage dropped to 10 (taking it easy). I do drive with my foot into it when I can. but lately, I have not been able to.

Answer me this. If I get an SCT tuner and get the fuel saver tune from Innovative, will this help? I know it acts as a reflash of sorts. If this will help me, then I know where I will be spending my money very soon.

I am aware that the programmer may take out the EGR and anything else that is on the way out (which is fine, because I would rather they go out under warranty than when it is out of warranty).

Thanks again for the help. It is appreciated.

DIma
Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lot can play into mileage, Air pressure in tires, alignment, lift, tires, A reflash from ford.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM

try really laying into it once each drive you take. and don't even pay attention to the stock MPG guage, you need to check mileage by hand for it to be at all accurate
Old 04-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck (2006 F350 SD) is new to me and gets about the same (10.5-11) fuel mileage you do regardless of how I drive it or what I tow behind it. It seems to run and idle perfectly. Wish I had an answer for you. If anyone can answer this, we'd both appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM

The only way to know if anything is wrong is to get a good monitoring solution and go from there. An Edge CTS/CS or Scangauge 2 are good options. Without your trucks vitals it's hard to tell anything. Welcome to the org!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM

i have an 05 8" with 40"s i never had this problem, i did however get the gears re done to make it run like stock again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.