would you buy another? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
would you buy another?

Well looking for some opinions on whether you guys would buy another 6.0 after your experince with the one you own. I had an 2006 f350 with the 6.0 that i bought at 62000 miles, never been back to the dealership except for a rear differential issue at 800 miles back in 2007 whe the truck ws 10 months old. Figured if it hd not had any issues at that point it should be good to go.
It was a great truck for awhile until about 80000 I had two injectors and the ficm go bad, all covered by warrenty, the when I left the dealership I made it about 5 miles and it would barely run the egr stuck open.
Then for the next 10000 miles the truck was nothing but trouble from have the oring on the oil rail plug blow out resulting in no sart when warm issues to the egr/ oil cooler going bad and a few other issues.
I sold the truck in july of 2010 and bought an 2003 with the mighty 7.3 in it to not have an issue since and become a great truck. Sold the 7.3 and bought a duramax that needed injectors dirt cheap. Now my wife would like to have the duramax to pull her horses with which leaves me looking for another truck if we do that.
With the price of 6.0's being what they are and the fact that I loved the coil spring frontend along with the other improvements that came with the 05 model year I am considering buying another. Just wondering if you guys would buy another one or am i having memory lapse and just going to be creating more headaches and and money it that I dont need. Also if you so choose let me know what your opinion is on what needs to done if anything to make this a reliable problem free motor to use around the farm here for many years to come.
FYI also I am looking at a 2006 f350 lariat with 154000 on it and plan to get an oasis and car fax on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would definitely buy another! not that I plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon, but now that I have learned what kind of issues the 6.0s have and what it takes to fix them and make them reliable, I am very comfortable working on them. Another reason for me to buy one is that where I live, diesel trucks 2006 and older do not have to be emissions tested so I can get rid of all the emissions garbage which is the cause of lots of problems and poor performance of all diesel trucks IMO.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Bought my 06 with 66k miles on it in late 07. Was owned by a farmer who used it to move livestock to market. It's now up to 119k, and has had very few problems - HPOP seal at 94k, FICM power supply at 116k. Otherwise, no problems.

I've left it stock for the most part, regular oil changes with Rotella T6, and don't beat the daylights out of it. It's a good handling with or without a load, rides very well, doesn't feel at all like a 1 ton truck. Interior is solid, nothing has broken or cracked.

So, yes, I'd get another one, if I had a good idea that the PO had maintained it properly and had left it relatively stock. I love this F350 - best truck I've ever owned.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 AM

I bought one new in 04, sold it in06 after all the usual problems, bought another 04 w 44k in 08, now that all of the fixes are known, and the prices are good, I say yes. 6.0s are the devil you know.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Retired Soldier!

I got mine knowing it needed work, but got it for a great price. I would definately buy another one.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

No, I wouldn't buy another. However, its not because I don't like the 6.0. I have had ZERO issues with mine so I love it! The only reason I wouldn't get another is because they are getting too old for what I look for in buying new to me vehicles. I try to by vehicles that are only a year or two old when I get them. So, I'd be looking at a 6.4 if I were to buy today. Next year I'd be looking at the 6.7s.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Hell yes, best truck I have owned 175k going strong & it's a plow truck. This truck has made me a lot of money. The key is maintance.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
YES

But I do have a crush on the newer 6.4's...

They make so much more power with ony a tuner....6.7's are slower tuned then 6.4s so that is out of the question...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

You guys are confirming what I am thinking that if I do some fairly minor things to it I should beable to use it and have a relativly good truck for around the farm. I would think delete the egr system new oil cooler make sure all the injectors are good and I should be good. I believe I will have to tune it in order to delete the egr, correct? Maybe a better option would be the bulletproof egr cooler. which is a cheaper way to go?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes you need tunes to turn off the CEL when deleting the EGR...

I guess cheaper would be going an bulletproof EGR cooler...

BUT a egr delete and custom tunes is more fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.