Quick coolant flush question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick coolant flush question

Some background:

I bought my 04 in Oct. of last year with about 96k on it and knowing basically nothing about the maintenance history of it. Its at about 101k right now. I installed a Sinister coolant filter at about 98k-ish. When I changed the first coolant filter I expected it to be full of garbage since I had no idea about the status of the liquids. I was surprised to see that when I cut it open, there was absolutely nothing in the filter. Super clean. When I run it on the highway, I don't tow anything so its unloaded, the temp is usually about 188 with the deltas typically being 0-2 degrees, the highest I've ever seen was 5 and very briefly.

My question is, do I need to do a chemical flush (Restore, Restore+/VC-9), or would just a good distilled water flush work since my filters are clean and there's not a big temperature gap?

Thanks,

Boyle

Last edited by TruckNorris; 03-06-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Cowgirl forever!!!

I got a question when flushing with diststilled water do you have to remove all the water im putting the gold stuff back in? was going to do a few flushes with water
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Truck; you have a choice of two ways to go: 1) "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" or
2) "Fix it untill it's broke".

Cowgirl, the general idea behind the distilled water flush is to add the distilled water, run to operating temp, then drain multiple times. Then after the last distilled water fill, run, and drain; add approximately 3 gallons of concentrated (not 50/50 mix) coolant. It's done this way because there will be distilled water still trapped in your engine from the flush. That trapped distilled water and the concentrated coolant should give you the proper 50/50 mix.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Friend of Dr.Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckNorris View Post
Some background:

I bought my 04 in Oct. of last year with about 96k on in and nothing basically nothing about the maintenance history of it. Its at about 101k right now. I installed a Sinister coolant filter at about 98k-ish. When I changed the first coolant filter I expected it to be full of garbage since I had no idea about the status of the liquids. I was surprised to see that when I cut it open, there was absolutely nothing in the filter. Super clean. When I run it on the highway, I don't tow anything so its unloaded, the temp is usually about 188 with the deltas typically being 0-2 degrees, the highest I've ever seen was 5 and very briefly.

My question is, do I need to do a chemical flush (Restore, Restore+/VC-9), or would just a good distilled water flush work since my filters are clean and there's not a big temperature gap?

Thanks,

Boyle
Since you don't know the history, I would use the chemical flush. Then, when you change it again, just use distilled water, or maybe some Cascade.

It looks like someone has done some cooling system upkeep in the past. Does it have the original colored coolant in it?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Truck, I wouldn't mess with a good thing. Stick with distilled water.

Cowgirl, disconnecting the lower coolant hose drains about half the volume out of the cooling system. If you do it this way, have a spare hose clamp ready to go back on because the past two times I've done this the clamp craps out.
Why aren't you going with an ELC? I've heard the new Ford gold is silicate-free but I'm not sure. I KNOW the NAPA ELC I put in is silicate-free and that's why I used it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Emergency Services

Pappy, Jim, thanks for the info.

Draboo, it still has the gold coolant in it. I was planning on switching it to an ELC when I did the flush, just need to find one to switch to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.