Started the big bulletproofing endeavor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started the big bulletproofing endeavor

Sunday afternoon I started the tear down for ARP studs, OEM gaskets, blue spring upgrade, standpipes and dummy plugs, 6.4 banjo bolts, upgraded STC fitting, upgraded IPR screen, upgraded oil feed and drain tubes and bulletproof oil cooler.

So far I've run into two minor setbacks both of which the ORG has come to my rescue within minutes. I,m 11 hours in and have the hood, grill, fan shroud, alternator, manifold, EGR cooler, turbo and oil cooler out. I need to get the tool to remove the fittings at the bottom of the rad for the transmission cooler lines. If I don't get one by tomorrow I will just cut them and use compression fittings to put them back together. I want to remove the rad and intercooler leaving the condensor in place to install the Bulletproof cooler. This way I won't have to evac the AC. The hood I removed so I can use my gantry crane to lift off the heads as space is limited and a hassle to use my engine hoist to lift them off. Lucky for me I have a furnace in the garage as it's pretty flippin cold out the last couple of days. -2F Sunday. Supposed to be up around 45F by Wednesday.

As soon as I get a few minutes I will post some pictures, (They start on post #14 of this thread) just trying to get to the heads so I can get them to the machine shop ASAP.

Last edited by dee004; 01-23-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Info added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just finished up with the same project and on my transmission lines I just unhooked the nuts that screw into the radiator. I was a little aprehensive about doing it at first but, it's no problem you can get the nuts hooked back up without a problem. The tank will move around inside the radiator but, you can get it lined back up without issue.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
I just finished up with the same project and on my transmission lines I just unhooked the nuts that screw into the radiator. I was a little aprehensive about doing it at first but, it's no problem you can get the nuts hooked back up without a problem. The tank will move around inside the radiator but, you can get it lined back up without issue.
Thanks. Sounds good if I don't get the tool in the morning I will try that before cutting them.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 AM

are you doing this with the cab on? i have an early 04 I am about to do the same project but I was wondering if studs can be done with the cab on? Especially the drivers side head with that lower rear stud....is there enough clearance to lower that sucker on there?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn25 View Post
are you doing this with the cab on? i have an early 04 I am about to do the same project but I was wondering if studs can be done with the cab on? Especially the drivers side head with that lower rear stud....is there enough clearance to lower that sucker on there?
Yes I am. And yes the back lower drivers side back can be done. You have to loosen the rear bolt and pull it up to clear the threads and use a rubber band or tie to hold it in place because there isn't enough room to pull it out. lift out the head and Instal is the same with stud held in place in the same manner. I will post pics

Last edited by dee004; 03-06-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 AM

Perfect thank you. Also, did u do a coolant system flush before or after you did this? I have read a lot about doing the egr and oil coolers and people that have done oil coolers have clogged up again within a couple hundred miles. I plan on adding an aftermarket coolant filter but I want to avoid this happening to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn25 View Post
Perfect thank you. Also, did u do a coolant system flush before or after you did this? I have read a lot about doing the egr and oil coolers and people that have done oil coolers have clogged up again within a couple hundred miles. I plan on adding an aftermarket coolant filter but I want to avoid this happening to me.
Did my coolant flush about 9K back and installed my coolant filter then. Even after the thorough flushing the first filter plugged after just 500 miles and again at 2K with casting sand. The third is still not plugged after about 5.5K but I'm going to change it anyways after all this work. Do your flush ASAP and then put on your coolant filter at the same time. Just remember all the crap will be loosened up and sent through your oil coolar and EGR cooler. You will probably see your delta, spike after the flushing as mine did it got up to 14degrees. I wasn't overly worried as I had already done the EGR delete.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM

Ya but unfortunately I cant drive my truck as is....so I cant do the coolant filter and run it. Its billowing white smoke and building pressure right now. So since I cant do a flush before all this work I am about to do, is there a procedure to flush it out before I ruin a new oil cooler? I am going with the bulletproof egr cooler but the $$$ isnt there for the oil cooler setup.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
-2*F? That's absolutely CRAZY... We were in the low 80's yesterday...

Best of luck, man. I would be very interested to see your pics.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
-2*F? That's absolutely CRAZY... We were in the low 80's yesterday...

Best of luck, man. I would be very interested to see your pics.
A little better today about 28degrees and tomorrow is supposed to be about 50. That's t-shirt weather for us up here. Won't have to have the heat on in the garage and will have the door open Will be pulling the heads tomorrow Just taking a break and back out to pull the standpipes, dummy plugs, injectors and maybe even loosen the head bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.