Filters, how many and where? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Filters, how many and where?

Okay learning about this new beast more and more each day (Thanks to this website and a few others). What filters need to be replaced and when. Since I got this truck 5 months ago I'm not sure when the last major service was done to it so I want to go ahead and change everything that I need to change. I already did an oil change but looking at dieselfiltersonline site there are a bunch more filters such as fuel and transmission etc. Anymore that I need to be aware of other than the basics such as oil and air? I just ordered new Raycor oil filter and fuel filters from the site and saw something about an external transmission filter. When does that need to be replaced and is there an internal filter as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Fuel, air, and oil should be your basics for sure.
There are two fuel filters. One water separating filter is under the driver seat, inside the frame rail. It goes with the fuel pump assembly/water drain.
The second is the secondary filter. The little black cap next to the oil filter.
There is a transmission filter. Just to the pass side of center, around the bell housing. Cast aluminum canister with a nut on the bottom. They can be a pain sometimes, and some people leave them alone. And there is an internal trans filter.
The other basic filter you should consider is a coolant filter.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Fuel, air, and oil should be your basics for sure.
There are two fuel filters. One water separating filter is under the driver seat, inside the frame rail. It goes with the fuel pump assembly/water drain.
The second is the secondary filter. The little black cap next to the oil filter.
There is a transmission filter. Just to the pass side of center, around the bell housing. Cast aluminum canister with a nut on the bottom. They can be a pain sometimes, and some people leave them alone. And there is an internal trans filter.
The other basic filter you should consider is a coolant filter.
Coolant filter is already on, one of the first mods I did thanks to this site Its the unit from sinister. I will take care of the basics first. The transmission filters may have to wait until I know more or just take it to a shop/stealership. Oil has been changed to T6 full syn and used the motorcraft oil filter last time but switched to the Raycor to save some $$$ this time. All the filters I ordered should be in by next weekend. I read that the fuel filter was changed to a new design, does it still go in the same as the old one it was replacing?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

My transmission filter is on passenger side up front near the radiator.
If you are buying from Dieselsite, Racor makes Motorcraft, NTZ makes the trans. filter. And your air filter last a long time, watch the air filter minder on the back side of the filter housing.

Here is a picture of where my transmission filter is.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

BC Diesel

Hi Lilfarmboy

Typically there are a lot of opinions and different interval recommendations based on usage ie Normal Use, Severe Use etc... At my shop BC Diesel I try to keep it somewhat simple.

Oil Change and Filter every 3000 - 5000 Miles
Fuel Filter every third oil change
Transmission Filter (external spin on) every 35,000 - 50,000
Transmission Filter (internal & external) every other service
Air Filter as needed. I recommend looking at a High Flow-Washable Filter
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the pic amdriven, I know exactly where that is but I didn't know what it was. Already got the external one on order so I will go ahead and replace it.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Yes, the fuel filter goes in the same. The filter inside the tranny does not need to be changed. As they say, "the filter inside is there to stop large branches and small animals from going through."

If you have the tranny flushed at the dealer, it needs to be a heated flush. If they don't do a heated flush, then you should just do what they would do. Drain and fill. And new canister filter. (Usually 8 quarts) Use Mercon SP or LV for tranny fluid.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave At BD Power View Post
Hi Lilfarmboy

Typically there are a lot of opinions and different interval recommendations based on usage ie Normal Use, Severe Use etc... At my shop BC Diesel I try to keep it somewhat simple.

Oil Change and Filter every 3000 - 5000 Miles
Fuel Filter every third oil change
Transmission Filter (external spin on) every 35,000 - 50,000
Transmission Filter (internal & external) every other service
Air Filter as needed. I recommend looking at a High Flow-Washable Filter

Yea I agree with those numbers. I change the oil every 5k but the truck mostly does runs to work and weekend driving. Not camping season yet here in DE. I think I will save the transmission filters for the shop and have the fluids drained and changed before camping season begins. The other stuff I am more than capable of doing myself. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.