CAT DEO 15W-40/10W-30 in CI-4+ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAT DEO 15W-40/10W-30 in CI-4+

I was at my local Caterpillar dealership getting a couple of parts for a backhoe and I noticed their CAT brand diesel engine oil on the shelf. The gallon container still shows CI-4+, CI-4 and CH-4 for its API rating.

Each gallon container sells for $18.00 which is about what local auto parts stores are selling Rotella, Delvac and everything else for. Synthetics such as T6 and Mobil TDT are nearing $27.00.

The parts guy said he'd sell me Cat DEO 15W-40 CI-4+ from their bulk shop tank for $11.00/gallon if I brought my own container. I happen to have a brand new Valvoline 5 gallon bucket (with the little pull up spout deal) that originally contained SAE 5W-30 (I snagged onto it from work before they threw it out just to have in my garage for waste oil or whatever).

I'm seriously considering this as the CAT oil is known good in their HEUI engines and is still factory fill in everything. They also sell the same product in 10W-30 for cold weather use, and DEO-ULS SYN 0W-40 CJ4 for very cold weather use. In other words I could run 15W-40 all year long and switch to 10W-30 December thru February (Indiana) when temps are known to get into the single digits.

Is this just Mobil oil as the parts guy says? Anyone else using Cat oil? For the price I can't see turning down a robust CI-4+ oil that is tested good in Cat HEUI engines. I can also run it in my diesel mower and Dodge D250 so buying in bulk won't hurt me at all.

My F250 was purchased with 80K miles on it...using Motorcraft or Rotella during that time. I've just kept using Rotella for the last year or so and Motorcraft filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM

How is it mobil oil?
I'd use it.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Caterpillar does not produce oil...or any other fluid they sell, same as Ford Motor Company doesn't actually make Motorcraft fluids. Supposedly Cat chose to go with Exxon-Mobil. So I'm saying its a Delvac product, perhaps with certain additives to meet the specific requests of Caterpillar. OR perhaps standard Delvac. That and the bottles are identical to Delvac 1300 Super bottles, except the label. That's why I'm saying its "Mobil" oil.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Oh I gotcha. Didn't think about it, but I knew they didn't make their own.
As long as it meets the certain specs, I've use it.

My Samsung SGH-I997 made me send this.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

By the way Neil. Does that CAT shop test oil? Or, have you used them to test your oil? I heard the other day that large CAT shops do oil testing for $15 while you wait. Could you check? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM

This facility is a branch store of the main store in Indianapolis. It's a fairly large facility as they used to work on OTR trucks too...but mainly just do heavy equipment sales, service and rental now. But this store doesn't do on-site oil analysis. They'll take the samples but they send them off. We've had several dropped off there. They email me the reports in PDF form.

I remember one analysis in particular where the shop foreman was pretty mad at another guy I work with for not getting the oil changed in his pickup for over 11,000 miles. We were on the old 3000 mile routine for gassers. This was a V8 Dodge 1500 using Citguard 500 15W-40 diesel oil. So the driver of the truck took a sample to Cat, just to be funny, and the report said the oil looked great and continue to monitor. So thats what he did. It made the shop foreman pretty mad. We still talk about that one.

Last edited by neil; 03-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. So, is it the OTR shops that do it at their shops? I have a CAT shop in Portland, so I was thinking about going there.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Whether or not any CAT dealer/shop does in-house oil analysis in unknown to me. My local office sends them off. To where, I don't know.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've seen some awesome UOA's of CAT 10w-30 in a 6.0L. Last time I was at a CAT dealer I only saw CJ oil, so I didn't think it was available any more. I'd love to buy a drum of it
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM

To my knowledge and according to the CAT website for service/fluids...CI-4+ is still the standard issue DEO 15W-40 and 10W-30. The CJ-4 is called DEO-ULS (ultra low sulfur) and is not factory fill for equipment (yet). There is also DEO-ULS Cold Weather (0W-40 synthetic), DEO Monograde and DEO-SAEO special application engine oil.

I have no idea how long they plan on keeping CI-4 as the standard oil. I would suppose until all off road engines have to meet the same standards as on-road...which is either here or close.

On the website, the main photo on the oil homepage is a DEO-SYN bottle which used to be their synthetic 5W-40. But I'm not sure they offer that anymore. Perhaps the 0W-40 has taken over for all synthetic needs and the 5W version is not needed.

Nevertheless...I think $11.00 a gallon pumped into my bulk container is a pretty good deal on a quality oil considering todays prices, and my need to change oil on 5 machines (2 pickups, 3 tractor).

Cat Parts: Parts>Machine Fluids>Oils>Diesel Engine Oil

Last edited by neil; 03-05-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.