please check your fuel filters everyone!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
please check your fuel filters everyone!!!

I know this has been discussed in length on this forum, but I just wanted to reiterate to check your fuel filters and change them if you have recently purchased a 6.0L. I bought mine about 4 months ago and decided to change today while doing the blue spring upgrade. Below is what they looked liked. Yikes! Also, look at all the junk that was in the primary fuel filter ( last pic).Who knows when the last time they were changed. On top of that, they were the wrong filters ( Napa Proselect ). I replaced with motorcraft. The primary fuel filter was half white, half brown meaning that it was only filtering half the fuel because it was wrong filter. Also, check your fuel pressure. got the CTS FP gauge last week and was idling at 49 psi and 40 at WOT. Now I'm at 70 at idle after blue spring.

Maybe it's just in my head, but truck seems to be running so much smoother and throttle response is better as well.

Thanks to all on here who told me to check filters, so I just wanted to pass along how very important this is to save your injectors!
Attached Thumbnails
please check your fuel filters everyone!!!-picture-333.jpg   please check your fuel filters everyone!!!-picture-334.jpg   please check your fuel filters everyone!!!-picture-335.jpg   please check your fuel filters everyone!!!-picture-338.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
All my filters look like that when I change them. Doesn't mean its the wrong filter.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM

They are bad looking, did you install the HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade while you were there.
DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Your injectors will like you for it also
I change mine every 10k and they come out looking clean.
2 stroker
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Those do not look like Motorcraft in the first picture. Aren't Motorcrafts Tan colored?

Your truck thanks you for changing those out!

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings!!

I have always changed all the fluids when ever I bought used. Just a good thing to start my own maintenance clock, no matter what the previous owner did.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

This is what mine looked like after 11,000 miles. These were the second change. The first ones I took off the truck when I bought it were covered in crud (lower one that is). And yes, it was a little early, but my curiosity got the best of me after knowing what the first ones looked like.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

The old filters were not motorcraft, they had NAPA pro select written on them. The reason I said they were wrong is that the primary filter did not have the pin hole on the end of the one side with the large opening like the motorcraft have. There is a you tube video somewhere showing the differences between motorcraft and other brands.
I wasn't meaning to say they won't work, I just am happier knowing I have motorcraft in there. That's all

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Btw, did not install new plug because I wasn't able to get a hold of one before doing this today. I had no problems though getting existing one out with Allen wrench. Came right out. I get it for next change though

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The others are fine too. Its the oil filters you need to watch out for.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The reason why your primary filter was half white/brown was because the outer skin of the filter wasn't separating the water out of the fuel. That outer skin material of the OEM filter is designed to separate the water from the fuel.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycountry16 View Post
Btw, did not install new plug because I wasn't able to get a hold of one before doing this today. I had no problems though getting existing one out with Allen wrench. Came right out. I get it for next change though

Yes I did. I had read and seen too many threads where those drain plugs strip at the allen wrench, or someone has stripped the threads going in too tight.

No more worries!

You wont lose much fuel if you get one in before your next change. Actually should drain more often than that any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.