post #1 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I drain Fumoto valve on starter side

Hi All,
I have been researching on this site for a while now, but have yet to post. I hope I will be able to help some of you some day as I have received tons of help from this site. My question involves draining the coolant from the engine block on the starter side with the fumoto valve. I had removed the starter to put the fumoto in, and now with it in I cant seem to get the drain hose over the nipple as the fumoto doesn't have much clearance from the starter. Can I just drain the coolant over the starter or is that asking for problems? Or if I reach up to drain the fumoto and I touch the pos. and neg. on the back of the starter on accident with batteries connected will I get a nasty shock?
post #2 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Motor Head.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVDOG337 View Post
Hi All,
I have been researching on this site for a while now, but have yet to post. I hope I will be able to help some of you some day as I have received tons of help from this site. My question involves draining the coolant from the engine block on the starter side with the fumoto valve. I had removed the starter to put the fumoto in, and now with it in I cant seem to get the drain hose over the nipple as the fumoto doesn't have much clearance from the starter. Can I just drain the coolant over the starter or is that asking for problems? Or if I reach up to drain the fumoto and I touch the pos. and neg. on the back of the starter on accident with batteries connected will I get a nasty shock?
It's definetly tight,but I managed to squeeze a hose on it and ran that to a bucket.

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4.MBRP Duals.Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.WPE/KC 1.5 turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars.2014 Power/folding/Extend mirrors.

To do list,
6.4 starter
post #3 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I installed a hose on it as well. In fact, both block drain valves have hoses, connected to a tee and finally a short section of hose that goes to the drain bucket.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter; High-Idle;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax trans case;Fumoto valves;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's; BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL;ELC Ultra
post #4 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had to modify the ground wire in order to get mine to fit and have enough clearance in order to get the tube on the nipple.

2013 F-350 King Ranch SuperCrew 6.7 LWB FX4
Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein Steering Damper, SuperSprings, Hellwig Big Rear Sway Bar, Weathertech Floor Mats, Weathertech Window Vents, Valentine One Radar Hardwired, Snow Plow Prep Package, Fifth Wheel/Goosneck Package w/Factory Fifth Wheel, Upfitter Switches, Factory Spray In Bed Liner, Moonroof, Clearance Lights, Block Heater, UWS Low clearance Toolbox with 45 gallon gravity feed tank, interior/exterior LED lighting, more to come.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like a tug of war with the ground wire to make it fit... If it s the ground wire(negative) there is no issue. The block is a ground (negative) itself. you should be able to put a thin hose on it...

06 350 CCLB
Edge CTS
Up-Pipes by Cutting Edge
ARP's
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
Coolant filter
post #6 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Glow Plugs Only

http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf

See page 10 of the attached document.

05 F250 CCSB 4X4, 05 VW TDI
4"Banks Turbo Back, ARP Studs & OEM Gaskets,
Coolant Filter, Blue spring, Zoodad
Bypass Oil Filter, Kitty By By, Standpipes dummy plugs
BPD oil cooler, EGR Delete, CCV Mod, BPD Oil Cooler, SCT SF3

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...-endeavor.html

post #7 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM

I purchased a 3/8" I.D. clear hose from the Depot, ran it to the center of the cross member and slid the 5 gal. bucket under it. 15 or 16 times.

D
post #8 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helped reassure me. I ended up just putting on some rubber gloves and reached up there with both hands and was able to get the hose on pretty easily. After draining it a few more times it became very easy. Does the starter have constant power even with the key off, or only when the key is in the ignition? I didn't get any shock at all and I'm pretty sure I had my hands all over the starter posts while I was working the drain tube on the fumoto the first couple times.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 PM

It will not shock you....

There is constant power down there on the large red wire.

1991 Ranger - 38" TSL's, 3 link, One tons, 5.38s on King air shocks....under construction.
1997 Ranger - reg cab flare side, 3.0L, M5OD-R1, 4x4, 31x10.50r15 MT's.
2008 F350 - Crewcab short bed, 6.4L diesel, H&S XRT Pro, AFE DOC/DPF delete
1972 Mustang Coupe - 302, c4, 9", 4.11's locked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode