Coolant Pressure question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Pressure question

I have made my own in line pressure gauge.
Here is my results the past 2 days.

Monday
I believe that my cap is bad. I was checking pressure today and could only get it to max 4psi and noramaly only run 2 psi. Even when it went to 4 psi when i let off the gas it would go right back to 2 psi right a way.
I plan to pick up a new cap tomorrow.

Tuesday
I have tried 2 new caps from Advance auto and get the same results. My pressure will go up quickly and bleed down quickly to 6psi while driving 55MPH. Then it goes down to 5.5psi while idle and 5psi when I shut it off. It holds at 5psi. Are both caps bad? I know the system will hold 13psi for 1/2hr. I test it last night. I'm trying to get a good reading but it just does not seem right. From the video's that I have seen they hold there pressure even if it is high (up to 16psi).

Do I still have an issue with the cap? or is that noramal for it to drop back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are they the club clicking caps or the ones that screw on tight?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Just screw on tight.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is the level in your degas bottle?

what was your coolant temp when you took the pressure reading?

Both of these variables directly affect the pressure reading you will get.

when my coolant reaches 165 to 170 degrees, the pressure is still around 4 psig.

Could also be a bad gauge - there are many cheap gauges on the market.

Last edited by bismic; 02-29-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
What is the level in your degas bottle?

what was your coolant temp when you took the pressure reading?

Both of these variables directly affect the pressure reading you will get.

when my coolant reaches 165 to 170 degrees, the pressure is still around 4 psig.

Could also be a bad gauge - there are many cheap gauges on the market.

Thanks for responding I did read a post from you from another forum when you checked yours (2 years old I think-- maybe more).
First would you agree with this statement. If your pressure gauge goes up very quickly during WOT and stays up (like 15-16psi) after then you have blown head gasket(s). AND most likely if your gauge goes up and then back down quickly after WOT then not a blown head gasket?

Ok mine_ On my test second day-- I know the first day I had a bad cap.
ECT was 190-195F During WOT test.
Was able to get it to 13 psi only on one time on a long up hill. The rest of the time I could only get it up to 10psi on WOT test. It would go up as soon as the boost kicked in and come back down just as quick when boost came back down. The coolant psi responce was like it was connected to boost press. (I know it is not but just try to explain what it did).

Not sure what psi was when ECT was 165-175F. But do know it went up as temp did.
Also after I did my WOT test and ECT was running 190-195F and parked and let it idle the PSI came down to 5. After shut down it would drop to 4psi and stay there. It would run a steady 7psi without getting onto the gas hard when ECT's were 190-195F.

level in your degas bottle Level is 1/2"-3/4" below new sticker line when cold. When up to operating temps it is in middle of old min and max lines.

Last edited by sae; 02-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae View Post
Thanks for responding I did read a post from you from another forum when you checked yours (2 years old I think-- maybe more).
First would you agree with this statement. If your pressure gauge goes up very quickly during WOT and stays up (like 15-16psi) after then you have blown head gasket(s). AND most likely if your gauge goes up and then back down quickly after WOT then not a blown head gasket?
I have been taught that if the pressure rises rapidly and drops rapidly, correspondingly with the acceleration pedal, it is probably an EGR cooler. If it goes up and stays up, or is slower to dop, it is probably head gaskets.

To use the pressure as a test, you must have a good degas bottle cap.

Do you still have an EGR system?

Quote:
Ok mine_ On my test second day-- I know the first day I had a bad cap.
ECT was 190-195F During WOT test.
Was able to get it to 13 psi only on one time on a long up hill. The rest of the time I could only get it up to 10psi on WOT test. It would go up as soon as the boost kicked in and come back down just as quick when boost came back down. The coolant psi responce was like it was connected to boost press. (I know it is not but just try to explain what it did).
This sounds like an EGR cooler to me, but that doesn't mean that you also could have head gasket issues.

Quote:
Not sure what psi was when ECT was 165-175F. But do know it went up as temp did.
To vary with temperature is normal

Quote:
Also after I did my WOT test and ECT was running 190-195F and parked and let it idle the PSI came down to 5. After shut down it would drop to 4psi and stay there. It would run a steady 7psi without getting onto the gas hard when ECT's were 190-195F.
I'll have to see if I get a drop in pressure when idling. I do not think I do. One thing to understand is that when a cap relieves, it will weaken. To me it sounds like you have a weak cap again, but I am not quite sure how many caps you tried. I really prefer the "revised" OEM cap. They hold up pretty well, but Ford still says replace them if they have relieved very many times (at the 16 psig set point). I have no experience with the aftermarket caps and their reliability.

Quote:
level in your degas bottle Level is 1/2"-3/4" below new sticker line when cold. When up to operating temps it is in middle of old min and max lines.
My level varied that much when I had gas in the system (didn't purge it completely after a coolant flush. Now, I do not see quite that much of a variation in level.

Last edited by bismic; 03-01-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post

My level varied that much when I had gas in the system (didn't purge it completely after a coolant flush. Now, I do not see quite that much of a variation in level.
I am chasing a similar issue. I changed a thermostat and had some puking afterwards from what I found to be overfilling the degas. I pulled some coolant out and still had a little crust around the cap lip, not even enough to make a stream and run down the bottle like it did before. I replaced the cap with the OEM new updated version and have no more puking, but I still have high PSI. It takes me 2-3 WOT pulls from 20-80 to get up to 14-15 PSI. I do not hear the cap vent off nor do I see any puking. I have a 15PSI gauge in the truck and the needle does not move quickly under WOT. I did not do anything special to purge the air out of the system, is there a specific procedure for that?

Also, I do have the EGR cooler. I have the delete kit and am simply waiting for a weekend when I can get it done.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM

There is a procedure for purging the air out that Ford uses. It involes using the "radikit" or "radikit plus" IIRC.

I just vent the system from the cap when it has some pressure on it. Probably not the safest thing to do, but you don't have to be at 190 deg F to do it and you can use a thick towel for protection. I have never spewed out coolant when carefully and slowly doing this.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
That's all it is???

I've done that a few times. I'm guessing it's the same thing as idling for an extended period of time with the cap off.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
bismic
bismics Gallery Hall

This sounds like an EGR cooler to me, but that doesn't mean that you also could have head gasket issues.
To me it sounds like you have a weak cap again, but I am not quite sure how many caps you tried. I really prefer the "revised" OEM cap. They hold up pretty well, but Ford still says replace them if they have relieved very many times (at the 16 psig set point). I have no experience with the aftermarket caps and their reliability.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Yes I have the EGR system. I replaced EGR valve late last summer due to it sticking open.
I believe the Head gaskets were replace sometime before I bought it.—see below for more information on truck.
I had 2 new caps from the box that both acted the same was as I posted. I thought about getting one from Ford. I’ll do that. Does your stay up higher when you shut off your truck?
I did flush the coolant system last spring and put in ELC coolant. I know I had the cap off some maybe just not enough times.

My truck is a 06 F350. It has 135,000 miles. I bought it 14 months ago and have only put on 5000mi on it. It was a fleet truck that was sold in auction and a used dealer bought it, I bought it from them. I got it for very good price and do understand there could be some issues. I have also put on the coolant filter on it. There is nothing on the osacis (sp) report form Ford. The truck was run in western Texas in very dusty conditions. Dust everywhere except inside, it was cleaned. Also the heads looked ‘new’ with shinning gasket sticking out very little. So I think the heads were at least inspected. Do not know if they put studs in (I doubt it) or they could have even used the old head bolts as far as I know. My temps between ECT and EOT is it 10 on hwy without load (warmed up).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.