Buy a 6.0 or stay away? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buy a 6.0 or stay away?

Theres a 2004 Ford F-350 Dually for sale buy me and I really like the looks of the truck and the price isnt bad either, Im being a lil deterred by the Volcano event that can happen to the 6.0. From what ive seen online so far this event can be prevented by proper monitoring, maintenence, or egr delete.

The truck has 44,000 miles, at what mileage have ppl experinced problems with the 6.0?

Price is 26k. Im gonna go lower cause it needs tires and has been lifted 4 inches. (I actually like the lift but Ill offer less money cause its been modified)

Clean carfax, but it does have an open recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What milage to people have problems? -- any

What you should do is plug some sort of monitor into it when you test drive it. A scan gauge II is under $200 and is handy monitor to have for any vehicle. It will let you read EOT vs. ECT, FICM volts, and let you know if there are any DTCs that would need to be addressed. This could help with bargaining, or tell you to walk away.

Also, get an oasis report so you know some of the history of the truck.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

There is no reason you couldn't drive that for hundreds of thousands of miles and be trouble free as long as you service it as needed. Then you always run the risk of an expensive repair on a diesel. Buy the truck if you like it and prepare to bullet proof the motor (head gaskets,studs,egr upgrade/delete) when you have an issue that requires tearing into the motor.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Cowgirl forever!!!

I love my 6.0L and i brought the edge insight cts and its great for watching the numbers. check ur numbers between ur ect and eot.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I love my 04 6.0!! It's got 162,000 miles on it. For 2 years it's been on the extreme program of an SCT, 6 inch lifted on 37's, EGR delete about 3 months ago. I've broke axles, I've tore the spider gears out of the front and now I'm having the transmission built (I wish I woulda bought a 6 speed) but that 6.0 has been absolutely trouble free. That's why I love my 6.0! And it'll run like a mutha! Oh it's got stock head bolts too. So i say buy it, that just my 2 cents though.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
What milage to people have problems? -- any

What you should do is plug some sort of monitor into it when you test drive it. A scan gauge II is under $200 and is handy monitor to have for any vehicle. It will let you read EOT vs. ECT, FICM volts, and let you know if there are any DTCs that would need to be addressed. This could help with bargaining, or tell you to walk away.

Also, get an oasis report so you know some of the history of the truck.
do I have to go through a ford dealer for a oasis report? The trucks currently at a chrysler dealer.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves6.0 View Post
do I have to go through a ford dealer for a oasis report? The trucks currently at a chrysler dealer.
Spend $20.00 and become a premium member or $60.00 for a lifetime membership and you will have access to the premium forum. Someone will do one for you there. Its well worth the money and you will help keep the forum on its feet.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPowerstrokecowgirl View Post
I love my 6.0L and i brought the edge insight cts and its great for watching the numbers. check ur numbers between ur ect and eot.
from what ive read about the 6.0 so far, monitoring the ECT & EOT is critical.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves6.0 View Post
from what ive read about the 6.0 so far, monitoring the ECT & EOT is critical.
Yes it is! Monitoring FICM volts is also important. The only thing that will kill injectors faster than a bad FICM is running out of fuel on the highway
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not really, until a headgasket blows and roughly $4000 goes bye bye. That is a joke folks.

Yes, eot,ect,ficm,icp v,icp psi are critical to watch on a 6.0. As I have said before, from the oil pan to the cylinder heads is some good parts, it's the crap surrounding it that drags it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.