9-10 delta Has any one had any luck with flushing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
9-10 delta Has any one had any luck with flushing?

EOT- ECT 9-10 delta, has anyone had any luck flushing? How about backflushing? I need to anyhow for so e reason it has green coolant in it. I've only owned it a couple months, so I'm just getting started.
Anyone with good results or bad results?

Sent from my Xoom using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
going to chime in, but i dont really know. i just like the sound of my own voice. i had an 04, got totalled...note to self, must learn how to drive... got an 05 dually also with a 6.0 also. my delatas are within 10 according to the cts. i want to back flush and install cat elc, the bypass coolant and bypass oil filter but why fix if it aint broke. sitting on the fence
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM

I know the feeling, but I really don't want failure. I like a little prevention. I may monitor it a little longer, not sure. Although there must be some benefit from it.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Friend of Dr.Bob

I m in the same damn spot. 10 deg difference at 190 ECT. I hate to flush and possibly make matters worse. Have either of you guys towed anything and watch the temps? I haven't as of yet. Just bought the truck.

Sparky, I m originally from the U.P., Marquette area.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM

I haven't towed yet, but pulled some nice grades, with mixed results. Sometimes the harder I pushed it the closer they got? I'll most likely do a flush in the near future. If it s fees the cooler I'll just have to change it.

I wish I lived up there. I got the name from an offshore oil rig I worked on.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM

I had a 15-18 degree delta that has been getting worse over the last couple weeks... Yesterday I drained the radiator and unhooked the lower hose and back flushed with hot water from my washing machine hookup through the oil cooler outlet cap... A 5/8 garden hose will fit perfect in the hole and it puts a lot of pressure through the cooler... Flushed it for about 25 minutes and then put everything back together and poured the coolant I had drained back in... Now my deltas are between 8-10 degrees. I flushed a couple months ago and have cat ec-1 coolant and a coolant filter already but I'm thinking I might get the spread down a little more if I flush with restore and restore plus really good again and then back flush for 30-40 minutes while everything is hot

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did a water/distilled water flush and my deltas seemed to increase just a bit...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM

To start with if you do not have a coolant filter on need to get one ASAP to remove the casting sand should be in place for 5-7000 miles then do a flush.
I had deltas of 4-6* before the flush and the same after, i used 1/2 gallon Restore 1/2 gallon Restore+ new t/stat 48 gallons of distilled water 1/4 tank of fuel and 12.5hrs of my deltas run ECT 192-194* EOT 198-200* pulling my 5er add 10* to each.
Here is another great cooling flush if you have to back flush.
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
Flushing and cleaning the 6.0

Restore is for cleaning out any silicate goo. VC-9 is for cleaning out iron and scale. Restore Plus is the same as VC-9 and cheaper.

To flush drain the coolant by removing the lower radiator hose from the radiator, and removing the drain plug from the driver side of the block. There is a drain plug on the passenger side also but you have to remove the starter to get to it. I don't bother with that one.
I also highly recommend you pull the thermostat out on your first drain and put the housing back without the thermostat. It only takes about 10 minutes and will save you 2.5 hrs or so in doing this whole procedure.

Ok now put the lower hose back on and the drain plug back in the block if you removed it. This is the procedure you will use each time to drain the system, except you will not touch the thermostat again until you're finished the whole procedure. Make sure that you set your heater to high while doing this to flush out the heater core as well.

Fill the cooling system with distilled water, start the truck and let the water circulate for 5 minutes. (if you did not remove the thermostat you must run the truck until the thermostat opens + 5 minutes to circulate. This takes 15 to 20 minutes each cycle and is why you should just remove the thermostat) Stop the engine. Drain the system and repeat the flush.

Now add at least 1/2 gallon of Restore and fill with distilled water. I used cardboard in front of the radiator because you have to get to 185* 190* for these products to work. Drive truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes just before you get back from your drive remove the cardboard this will help in the cool down same on the Restore+ flush. Drain and flush 3 or 4 times. or tell clean

Add 2qts VC-9 or 1/2gal of Restore Plus, top with distilled water, and drive the truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes. Now drain and flush until flush water comes out clear and clean. When you get clean flush water, flush 3 more times using distilled water while draining the block.

After your final distilled water drain it is time to put the thermostat back in take a funnel and dump the ELC coolant down the t/stat hole 3 1/2 gallons or till full to the top of the hole that way you have O air in the block, I recommend you install a new thermostat at this point 3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat with housing come with new o-ring. They are only $30 or so and it is good maintenance procedure to do so and top off with distilled water. Drive the truck or let run for a while topping off with distilled water. Check the truck over the next few days and top up as required while any air left in the system works its way out useing the 1/2 gallon left over but fill with distilled water that will give you 1 gallon of mix fill ONLY to the add mark this is the new full cald mark. Remember the system hold 7 gallons of coolant by draining the driverside block drain and Radiator you remove adout 3 1/2 gallons of DISTILLED water that is why you only use 3 1/2 gallons of concentrate coolant this gives you a 50/50 mix.

Keep some 50/50 ELC on hand to use to top off the cooling system from here out and you are good to go.

new t/stat from Ford it should all come together (housing-t/stat-o-ring) in a box. The part number is RT-1169
My advice is to get some ph strips from Napa and check the ph level before add ELC coolant because you what a ph level of 7.0 if higher you must keep flushing to get to a neutral balance in the distilled water then you can add coolant, for me it was 6 flushes or 24 gallons of distilled water.

Here is the Restore Product from Cummins dealer
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...LI33024-GB.pdf
You can order here but some say you must order 4 at a time, don't know
Restore
Restore Coolant System Cleaner Gallon, CC2610, Fleetguard Cummins
Restore+
Cooling system cleaner restore plus, CC2638, Fleetguard Cummins
2 stroker
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM

9-10 isn't awful. A lot of people have an 8-10 degree delta. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not to hijack the thread but my ect usually stays around 185/186 an my eot is around 193. I'm thinking my thermostat is bad. But could this mean my oil cooler is getting plugged as well? Is it bad to run with a bad thermostat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.