Tax Return: To re Gear? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tax Return: To re Gear?

I am thinking about re gearing with my tax return. See mods in sig.

Currently:
I am currently getting 13mpgs in the winter here and 14/15 in the summer with 3.73 gears. Staying between 700-900 egt at 70-75, hitting 1000 uphill.

Stock:
I bought the truck bone stock I got 18/19 on the highway. (never drove in town before lifting).

Background:
My last 6oh had identical mods but I went with 4.56 gears and was getting 14 in town and 16/17 on the highway. I do not tow anything heavy or tow very often. My main concern is getting some mileage back. I have tried the looney tune from vivian and xtreme street from eric both getting me about the same mileage.

The question:
Should I re gear? if so what gear ratio? I was thinking 4.30s? Like I said I am looking for the best mileage I can get with my lifted truck.

Also another option I was thinking was adding Meth. I have a buddy that got great results when running Snows MPG MAX. I do not have head studs and would consider meth for highway driving only.

the last truck with 4.56s

Current truck in sig, Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you dont tow anything, and your running a daily drive tune, i would just go to a 4.30 set or even maybe 4.11's. I have 4.56's with 37's wishing i went with 4.30's. 4.56's are great for towing but not really great for highway.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
maybe you should get a smaller truck. I get 21 hw and 16-18 cty. They arnt meant for any better millage than that. I am running 2" leveling with 33s on the bullydog trippledog tunner.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you gonna need a new trans to go with that bulldog lol
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3550Duty View Post
If you dont tow anything, and your running a daily drive tune, i would just go to a 4.30 set or even maybe 4.11's. I have 4.56's with 37's wishing i went with 4.30's. 4.56's are great for towing but not really great for highway.
I am pretty sure I don't want to do 4.56s again cause like you said and with my last truck I know the 4.56s on the highway is not ideal. I have thought about 4.11's as well just not sure if that would be a big enough change. I am between the two 4.11s or 4.30s if I re gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
maybe you should get a smaller truck. I get 21 hw and 16-18 cty. They arnt meant for any better millage than that. I am running 2" leveling with 33s on the bullydog trippledog tunner.
I knew that comment was coming, that's why I said "looking for the best mileage with with my lifted truck". I would love to see what I got when the truck was stock 18-19 hw, but I doubt that will happen again, So I am just looking to bring it back up some and get the best I can with the truck lifted the way it is. (Also you should look into custom tunes, world of difference over the on the shelf programmers.)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSford03 View Post
I knew that comment was coming, that's why I said "looking for the best mileage with with my lifted truck". I would love to see what I got when the truck was stock 18-19 hw, but I doubt that will happen again, So I am just looking to bring it back up some and get the best I can with the truck lifted the way it is. (Also you should look into custom tunes, world of difference over the on the shelf programmers.)
I didnt mean to bust your balls I mean why dont you get a smaller truck as a beater around town to save MPG. I havent seen any 6.0 yet get better that 21hw with any kind of a tunner. Not even stock size. I get that here in Fl but in CO, MI, TN I get 13-16mpg because of the hills and mountains. I still thank thats good because my girlfriends Mazda 3 gets over 30 hw in Fl but in the mountains it sucks worse than my truck.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ive never even seen a 6.0 2wd get higher than 18mpg on the highway... i'd love to know how youre getting 21mpg on the highway with a 4x4 leveled
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch89 View Post
you gonna need a new trans to go with that bulldog lol
I have 177,XXX+ miles on it with it and its still running strong why would I need to change it? The issues dont happen if your not constantly changing the tune on the fly. I leave it on one tune and stay there.

Last edited by WarChild; 02-27-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
ive never even seen a 6.0 2wd get higher than 18mpg on the highway... i'd love to know how youre getting 21mpg on the highway with a 4x4 leveled
Its hand calculated too. Dont get me wrong if I put the peddle down its not that high and normally its not but when I drive home to Texas or Colorado I use the cruze controls and thats what I will get @ 65 mph going slow as hell in the slow lane....lol

Last edited by WarChild; 02-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how many miles have you had that bulldog on there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.