Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to 6.0L Diesel

3K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  v8motorcycleman 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2007 6.0L that appears to have been babied. It has 44k miles on it, the bed has no scratches and the receiver has never seen a drawbar. From what I can tell it's bonestock with no chips. I'm certain there is tons of information about the 6.0 here but I'm looking to determine what issues should I look for right away and how to diagnose if there is a problem. I heard about the oil cooler and EGR issues the 6.0 is prone to but not sure hwo to determine if there is a problem.

I'm familiar with diesel engines but the older 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines are my knowledge base...these turbocharged engines are a new beast for me. I will say I left the truck behind at the dealer to explore a drip of something I saw on the transmission bell housing. Has me a little concerned but hoping the powertrain warranty covers it. Everything else seemed to be rock solid and clean.

#2 ·
Welcome to the org. First off you need to buy an edge insight cts and start monitoring your temps and volts. That will tell you were to go next and what meeds to be worked on. Take some time amd read through the stickies.

#3 ·
Do a search for "PGreenSVT". He's a member on here with some good links in his signature for the basics and new 6.0 owner.

#4 ·
:ORG welcome:

#5 ·
After reading some things and watching some videos...I'm a little freaked about the EGR and Oil cooler problems. While I haven't driven this truck for more than 15 miles yet, I like to be proactive in my maintenance b/c this truck will be around for 10-15 years. If everything seems to be ok, should I go ahead and just do a coolant flush to be on the safe side? What coolant should I use?

#6 ·
I would recommend you get yourself a monitor first and foremost. Edge CTS seems to be the most popular around here. You need to watch your EOT and ECT. This will tell you what your oil cooler is doing and/or not doing. If everything checks out, do a coolant flush. There are plenty of threads on the proper procedure on here. You want to use an ELC coolant, aka Extended Life Coolant. Brands include Caterpillar, Delo, ect. And, you want to make sure its "EC-1" rated. Throw a coolant filter on and you have a pretty good start on keeping your 6.0 happy.:thumb:

#10 ·
If these 2 temps are more than 10 degs off from each other, you are on your way to trouble.

#11 ·
After reading this site front to back on the 6 liter I too was freaked out but then I bought a coolant filter and an edge cts with starter kit installed and everything checked out ok you will relax after you see your ect eot numbers. Trust me after I read a few things to the wife she was like well do whatever you need to do we can't afford major repair bills so now im free to buy whatever so hint hint maybe you can do a little extra like me its always for the better of the truck right

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
Yes, you can monitor EOT and ECT among several other parameters at the same time.

#17 ·
i got mine from thoroughbred diesel and theres a offer like a 25$ gift card if you get it before the end of this month i think.

the cts is 399 and the expandable egt set is like 129. get the expandable set so fuel pressure and other stuff can be added on later.

stealth automotive also has it for the same price.

#19 ·
dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

get that one!!!!!

wish i would have known that and i would have saved 70$ on that. :doh:

and free shipping too.
ESTIMATED SHIPPING
FREE UPS Ground Shipping (4-5 Business Days) $ 0.00
UPS Ground $ 15.53
UPS Second Day Air $ 25.32
UPS Next Day Air $ 65.37

i got the free next day air tho.

#22 ·
I was just being a smart a$$...I run all my purchases through google shopping and it orders them all according to shipping, vendor, and price so it's always easy to figure out what I'm going to pay but I base it on the trustworthiness of the sites as well.

#23 ·
So my truck is now getting a new rear main seal courtesy of Ford Powertrain Warranty that runs out in May. That was the drip I saw when I bought it. They will also be putting two new batteries in it for me.

An extension question...I have plans of checking the EOT ECT with a new Edge Insight CTS and if everything is good, I plan to flush the system and order a coolant filter kit. Do I use a VC9 when I do the flush? Also, when I finish the flush, do I put an additive in like RMI-25? I was reading on some forum and someone recommended the RMI-25 to help get more of the particulates from the system out. Is this needed?

Also, I found two coolant filter options. One from Sinister Diesel and one from Dieselsite.com. Is there a difference? Anyone have a preference? I notice one uses a Baldwin filter and the other a Wix filter...any issue with either one? I notice they are both chemical free filters.

#32 · (Edited)
#34 ·
Items have been ordered and anxiously awaiting the UPS truck. PMM had the Edge CTS for $349 so I put it in my cart and then had to run. Came home later in the day and the price jumped to $399. Called their customer support number and they honored the $349 price. To say thanks I bought another 24070 coolant filter from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.