2005 No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 No Start

Tore 2005 f350 down to do HG and studs while in there did and egr delete and replaced oil cooler, put in stand pipes and dummy plugs, changed out the stc fitting and redone the HPOP o rings, put in new orings on ipr valve. Before trying to start poured oil in the oil filter canister to let go into oil cooler galley so there was nothing dry. Now got all this done and tried to start my truck with a computer hooked to OBD port while trying to start showed nothing at the icp sensor then checked icp sensor and it showed no oil in place where screwed into on oil rail after that took off valve and it showed no oil even in rocker box where I think should be wet in that area. Also pulled the canister filter out and it was still dry and the oil poured into in the beginning was still at the same level as when started. Can someone please help me where to turn to next, and also would like to know how to put air pressure in the system to here if there are any leaks in the system. Truck been down since Nov. 24 would love to here it run again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Remove the oil filter cap, hold down the drain valve w/ a screwdriver, have someone crank to see if any oil is pumping up to the oil filter.

It is common to crank a while to get the air out of the HPO system, but the LPO system should not have issues.

It is also common for trash to ruin the IPR valve after an oil cooler job. This is just a statement at this point - not a diagnosis.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What should I do next if there is not any oil comes up there?
Next Question what will it mean if there is oil coming up there??

Thanks For your Help 2 stroker told me to message you and I would be steered in the right direction
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM

If the LPOP regulator is fine and there is no oil filling the oil filter reservoir, I would say it is time to open the front cover and inspect the LPOP. After that (if the LPOP looks OK, then drop the oil pan to look at the pickup tube.

Maybe others have some thoughts ...................
Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

How long did you try cranking on it for? When cranking did you happen to notice if the oil pressure gauge in the truck moved up?

Do Bismics test of leaving the oil filter out and cranking on it. If the low pressure system is primed up then you should have oil filling the canister within 5 seconds after you start cranking on it. If you get oil filling up the oil filter housing then your issue lies in the high pressure system, not the low pressure oil system.

I'm betting you have more of an issue with the high pressure system, most likely a screwed up IPR. If you were not extremely careful to clean out the high pressure oil reservoir during the oil cooler replacement then crud probably got sucked up into the IPR and has caused it to fail.

I'd start with making sure your getting low oil pressure, then I'd probably pull the IPR and check the screen on the end of it.

You can try and pressurize the high pressure oil system but it will require you to jump 12v to the IPR, which you can do manually or with a good scan tool.

Try and narrow down the issue first.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM

justinmix -

Have you ever heard of issues w/ the oil filter housing itself preventing it from filling when cranking? I hadn't, but was just wondering .......
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No, the filter housing is the first place it goes to after the oil pump. If it's not making it up to the filter housing then the next step would be to check the low pressure oil pump/front cover/pickup tube.

Since he wasn't in the lower end of the engine I'm thinking it's more a high pressure issue, but low oil pressure should be verified first.

Make sure to pull the filter housing and check for oil flow though. Don't just watch the oil pressure gauge. If you have a big enough leak on the high pressure oil system it can cause it not to build enough pressure to move the oil pressure gauge. Verifying oil flow into the oil filter housing is the best way to narrow down if it's a low or high pressure oil issue.

I had a goofy no start truck the other day. Wasn't building ICP pressure but had low oil pressure. Pressure tested the high pressure oil system and found #1 injector oil inlet o-ring had came apart, along with the little backing ring and snap ring. I found most of the pieces, and replaced the injector. After that the truck ran, but then died on me again. After checking it a second time I found it wasn't building low oil pressure. Pulled the low oil pressure regulator and found that a piece of the snap ring had managed to get stuck in there holding the regulator open.

Guess my point on that whole story is never assume anything and verify what component has failed.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the gauge on the inside of truck went up to app 3/4 way as I tried to start it. Haven't had a chance to do bismic's test yet will try I hope today if can find some help to do it Thanks for alll the help.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

If the oil pressure gauge moved up then I would say you have a high pressure oil issue. Probably the easiest thing for you to do at this point is pull the IPR and check the screen on the end of it. I'll bet you find it torn or pushed into the IPR valve. It's either that or something got goofed up on the high pressure oil rails or when you replaced the STC fitting.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM

well said .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.