Mandatory replacements? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mandatory replacements?

Im new to the site and my truck. It's an '04 6.0. I'm a big truck fan, love working on my trucks, but this is my first diesel. I've been reading all over the site about this motor and from what I've found, in addition to what I already knew about this motor I've complied a list of preemptive repairs I'm going to make in the next month. I'm picking up the Sinister "complete solution 6.0" kit ( Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution with Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and ARP Headstuds ) and using to straighten out the EGR, oil cooler, and head gasket issues. My question to y'all is, is there anything else I really need to do to make this a reliable motor? I keep reading about injectors, banjo bolts, gauges, etc... but being new to this truck I'm not sure if those are necessary upgrades or just optional. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by 6literdiesel; 02-24-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 AM

Be sure to use OEM head gaskets and not Black Onyx. The BO gaskets are thinner and don't seem to be as reliable.

Gauges are a must regardless of what you do in upgrades. The oil cooler plugging is way too common and if you can detect it early (indicated when/if you are exceeding a 15 degree delta between coolant and oil temp), you can prevent a lot of damage. Also, fuel pressure below 45 psig can/will damage injectors. You will need a sending unit as well as a gauge for that parameter. If the pressure is low, an upgraded fuel pressure rehgulator spring is available. Battery and alternator problems can kill your FICM. Keep an eye on thise components and keep them healthy. Personally, I also sent my (perfectly fine) FICM to FICMrepair.com just because he does some reliability upgrades - I just wanted to avoid any issues down the road.

Depending on the engine model year (04's had 03 engines and 04 engines), there are possibly some other things to do.

Where is your ICP sensor (passenger head or under the tubo)?

Last edited by bismic; 02-26-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 AM

^^^^^

I would get Gauges/Monitoring solution first piggy backed with a coolant filter kit and blue spring(<--cheap insurance).

Then go from there!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the first thing you should do it get a monitor, like the Edge Insight CTS or CS and check out your EOT, ECT, FICM voltage, Fuel Pressure to establish what kind of condition your engine is in. If your engine is healthy, flush the Ford Gold out and install CAT EC-1 rated ELC and a coolant filter, then you won't have to bother with pulling the heads and installing studs and new gaskets, unless you want lots of power.

The first thing to do if find out what kind of shape your engine is in and then go from there. Congrats on the new truck BTW I love my 6.0!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Have you checked your EOT/ECT delta yet? If it's not out of spec your wasting money on the Oil Cooler. If you get it anyways, I'd still check the delta first and if it's good keep the cooler on the shelf as a spare.

I have yet to see anything wrong with the stock banjo bolts, seems like the only legitimate reason to bump up to the 6.4s is if your pushing crazy amounts of fuel and power. And though EC-1 rated coolant may be slightly better than Ford Gold, the Gold is an ELC coolant and the most logical reasoning for clogged oil coolers is the use of tap water not silicates.

Agree that getting gauges or some type of monitoring solution is very important in stopping the little problems before they become catastrophic.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. I would rather not spend the money on the studs since I dont have any intention on putting any form of a tuner on it. I just want to avoid any huge problems with this motor. I think I'm beginning to have a better understanding of how these failures happen, so now I'm looking at doing the Edge Insight CTS (with additional sending units), a coolant filtration system, ugraded oil cooler and flushing the coolant system. Sound like a more reasonable plan?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 AM

Two more questions. Since I'm not adding any additional power is it worth getting the EGT probe? The previous owner had the dealership fix the EGR problem, but he told me they put what they called an EGR plate on it. Is that an adequate fix and if not should I choose to do an EGR removal do I have to have the truck tuned to remove a CEL?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

I guess that means they blocked off the EGR. IIRC the '03s & early '04s don't throw a CEL for low egr flow....Mine still didn't like it though, think I had a soft code that was restricting boost to 21-22psi max. Can't be positive about that since the SGII isn't a good code reader and I turned the EGR off on my Livewire before reading DTCs; however, as soon as I turned the EGR off I could build 28psi. Depending on how they blocked it off, it could still pose somewhat of a hazard leaking coolant and busting HGs. Really up to you on that one.

The EGT probe could still be helpful untuned...Like when towing heavy and up long grades so you don't push her too hard. And to help in avoiding coking of the turbo on shutdown & as a general indicator of potential problems.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Where is your ICP sensor (passenger head or under the tubo)?
I'm not sure what that is.

I wanted to update this thread. I ordered Edge CTS, coolant filter kit, and blue spring kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.