2003 excursion advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 excursion advice

Hey guys. First off I've read Thu a lot and gotten a lot of good advice. I've finally talked the wife into getting rid of her Hummer for an excursion. I've found one (haven't looked at it yet)) its an 03 6L. I've heard the horror stories. But from a now BS standpoint. Should I confider this truck or look for an 04+ (I've heard the 03s have more issues?) Also I'm not a diesel guy. Hope to be but not there yet. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Also anyone have a pic of a stock and modded egr? I'm sure I can figure it out but I haven't so much as popped the hood on a 6L yet. This has been a new concept. We just had a kid and the wife is wanting a travel trailer...the H2 doesn't seem like a great tow vehicle so now I'm scrambling trying to get as much knowledge on the topic as I can so I don't get taken on a crap deal.

Thanks again. I'm sure the questions get redundant. I know they do on mustang and k5 forums I'm on

Vandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 AM

Don't dismiss and 03, I have an early 04 which is an 03 engine and I just bought an 03 F550. The 03-04 have the better egr coolers, I got 103K miles out of mine and then changed it just for good measure. The 05+ have issues with the STC fitting. Just try to get something that doesn't look abused and is in good shape, that will say a lot. Heres a pic of the engine bay, the EGR is right there on the left. Before starting check the egr out and feel the turbo so see if the truck has been started earlier.... samoe ol' mustang tricks here.

Easiest way to find it is to follow the left line from the coolant bottle down to the engine and then look under the intake, if the first picture didn't have the egr it would be a smalle 3/4" diameter shiny tube.

Good luck with the sale. Search for other things to check before buying....ect/eot, oasis report,
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do you have any kind of a monitoring device that plugs into the OBD II port. If not you can pick up scangauge for under $200 that will work. You want to check EOTvsECT (shouldn't be more than 7 - 8 degrees apart at highway speed), check FICM voltage (should be over 46-47 volts). and make sure it isn't throwing any codes. Or you could get an Edge Insight that would do all the same stuff. Either way, if you are set on buying a 6.0, it is a good investment, becasue all 6.0s need to be monitored. Even if you don't get one, maybe there is someone on this forum who is in your area and would let you borrow one for a day.

I have an 03 and I agree that they are neither better nor worse than any later 6.0s, just different... although you may fine find that earlier 6.0 will be more powerful

Last edited by TooMuch03; 02-23-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Thanks Boreal
Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM

I'm not "set " on anything. This one is local, looks clean so far and they offered me basically a straight across deal for my h2. My wife lost her job last month so I really don't want another payment. Its one of 2 for sale local that's a diesel. The other they want 44k for it. We have a LOT of gas excursions for sale. But unless I want to drive to Dallas or Tulsa this is what I have for now. IF its clean as it looks and IF it seems to be in good running condition ill jump at a chance to trade the H in for it
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Ok, well it sounds like a decent deal. 44k does not sound like a decent deal at all! Look for oil leacks at the back of the engine, see how it starts cold (if it fires right up or cranks awhile, if it smokes when cold), also look for coolant stains around the degas cap, like it has puked coolant out of the cap recently. Definitely get an oasis report if possible. Like you said, if it is mechanically sound, I agree that you should jump on it.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Well found a 7.3L local couple more miles couple years older....I realize its bias but what direction would u take
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Emergency Services

I'll admit that when I started looking at the Ex I had no clue what I was looking for. I found a lot of info here and decided on the 05 based purely on looks and having a newer versus older vehicle.

I'd make sure to learn everything you can before you sign a deal and follow the above advice and bring a monitor with you for the test drive. Check out the Excursion forum as well for some more specific problems to the Ex.
Click Here for a thread on buying a used Ex.

Research and not making an impulse decision will save you a lot of headaches down the road. I'd also suggest having some extra cash ready for maintenance and unexpected repairs, these things take a lot of oil! lol
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
Do you have any kind of a monitoring device that plugs into the OBD II port. If not you can pick up scangauge for under $200 that will work. You want to check EOTvsECT (shouldn't be more than 78 degrees apart at highway speed), check FICM voltage (should be over 46-47 volts).
Pretty sure you meant 7 - 8 degrees....
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Pretty sure you meant 7 - 8 degrees....
Yup! fixed it
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM

I'm sure pretty much everyone knew what you meant. I just wanted to clarify in case the OP was as green to diesels as he said he was. I'd hate for him to borrow a Scangauge, hit the road on a test drive, see 45* delta and think he's ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.