need help, coolant on front of engine and degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help, coolant on front of engine and degas bottle

Ok need a little help here guys. I am getting coolant on the front of my engine, it's hitting the belt and being slung everywhere so I can't really see where it's leaking from. It doesn't leak till it gets warmed up and continues to drip and leak after I shut it off for a little while. I am also getting coolant out the degas cap bottle and I already replaced the cap. The weird thing is the coolant level is still a little high in the bottle so I cannot really add fluid but the upper radiator hose is empty. Truck runs perfect, it has a 155k miles on it and I bought it about 8 months ago. I bought a scangauge for it a couple months ago and thats when i saw that the oil cooler was shot as I had pretty high deltas. So I've recently done a full coolant flush, oil cooler replacement, egr delete, thermostat, coolant filter and cat1 coolant. Also I noticed when I did the egr delete that someone in the past had already welded over the egr cooler so it was non functioning. Truck runs great, little stiction in the morning but pulls hard, absolutely no smoke ever. Could my water pump be clogged or shot? Is the only way for my degas bottle to lose fluid is because of headgaskets? Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

What are your temps like when you're driving? Normally, I think people would say ERG cooler but since yours is deleted...???

Is the coolant in the bottle clean? Or does it look like it's got oil in it?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM

temps when warmed up, ect 188-192 eot 190-195, coolant looks brand new, translucent red like it came out of the bottle.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 AM

bump anyone?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is an interesting situation. I would be led to believe it's your water pump, especially by the way you described the coolant being flung aground by the belt. But, I do not know why you would have any puking, unless it is just overfilled.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 AM

what I don't understand is why the upper radiator hose is empty though. Is it possible the water pump clogged up from when I did the coolant flush? Is it possible for the water pump to overpressurize the degas bottle if it's clogged somewhere?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

What level do you keep your coolant? Hot full is the minimum line on the bottle, or if your truck has the sticker, only fill to the minimum line (of the sticker) at cold.

Since you were working on the motor recently, you might have cracked the return line, the little hose going to degas from radiator. Where it connects. Have seen folks crack that nipple.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 AM

well I do have the updated label on the bottle and it was slightly overfilled but that would only explain coolant coming out of the cap and the level is still high in the bottle even though I know it's low on coolant. I don't think that line is cracked as I haven't seen any leaks there.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Wish I had some other suggestions...Maybe someone else can help out??

Can you wash out the engine bay and run it with the hood open and try to see where it's coming from??
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 AM

I've tried that a little, guess I can try it again, I've gotten under the truck when it's running and warm and can't see a thing. As soon as I shut it off I start getting coolant running down the crank pulley and other stuff, it's dripping off tie rod ends as well. frustrating, because I thought everything was fixed and it's running great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.