About to buy a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to buy a 6.0

Howdy, been a member here for awhile now, rarely post, just read ALOT. Anyway, I have my sights set on an 05 f-250 ccsb with 101k. One owner. Truck is super clean except a squeaking belt. Had head gaskets replace with stock bolts under warranty at 40k and eight new injectors somewhere between 40 and 100k. I will have a CTS in the mail ASAP. Should I be concerned with the squeaky belt? Trk has k&n cai and a 4" turbo back silverline exhaust, 4 inch skyjacker and 325/??/18 Mickey mtz's. Also anybody willing to do an oasis report for me? Any comments/help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also looks to have stock egr system in place. No evidence of pucking and starts good cold and runs super smooth. Sorry for the long posts, just excited.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Squeaking belt is probably caused by the tensioner pulley, they always squeak, mine is doing now The tensioner can be replaced pretty easily, and get a new belt for it when you change the tensioner. No big deal. Also, replace the Filter on the K&N intake with a better one. My truck also came with a K&N which I replaced with a AFE ProGuard 7 filter. Or, you can get a whole new intake if you want. Do you have any way of checking the EOT vs ECT and FICM voltage now before you buy it? That would be a very good thing to do.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No way of checking before I buy.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why did you replace the k&n filter? Are they not good? That's what mine came with. If I should change it what one should I put and maybe why should I put that one thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkville View Post
No way of checking before I buy.
Well buy one. You'll need one either way and it can tell you if you have a problem before you sign on the dotted line. You can get a Scangauge for like $150. It'll tell you what you need to know and at the very least you'll have piece of mind. Just some friendly advice.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Ford View Post
Well buy one. You'll need one either way and it can tell you if you have a problem before you sign on the dotted line. You can get a Scangauge for like $150. It'll tell you what you need to know and at the very least you'll have piece of mind. Just some friendly advice.
This is a good idea. You can get the scan gauge, or Edge insight CS or CTS (which you were planning on buying anyway) to check all the temps before you buy it. If you don't end up buying this truck, any of these can be used on almost every vehicle made after 1996, so it won't be waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordman87 View Post
Why did you replace the k&n filter? Are they not good? That's what mine came with. If I should change it what one should I put and maybe why should I put that one thanks
I replaced the K&N filter because they are known to be turbo killers. If I can find a thread about it later, I'll add it to this post. Basically, the filter relies entirely on the oil for filtration, which is fine for a naturally aspirated engine. However, the turbo chargers on our diesels will suck the oil right out of it and all that is left is the 2 layer cotton gauze filter which doesn't stop much dust and dirt. Turbos really need clean air. I replaced it with an AFE 7 layer filter that has approximately the same surface area. AFE has a great reputation for making good diesel air filters, but there are other options as well. It was about $5 more than a replacement K&N filter and much cheaper than a whole new intake system and way cheaper than a new turbo.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Check the degas cap for discharge.
Run a pressure test on the coolant system.
I wouldn't buy it without checking the ECT-EOTΔ
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
This is a good idea. You can get the scan gauge, or Edge insight CS or CTS (which you were planning on buying anyway) to check all the temps before you buy it. If you don't end up buying this truck, any of these can be used on almost every vehicle made after 1996, so it won't be waste of money.

I replaced the K&N filter because they are known to be turbo killers. If I can find a thread about it later, I'll add it to this post. Basically, the filter relies entirely on the oil for filtration, which is fine for a naturally aspirated engine. However, the turbo chargers on our diesels will suck the oil right out of it and all that is left is the 2 layer cotton gauze filter which doesn't stop much dust and dirt. Turbos really need clean air. I replaced it with an AFE 7 layer filter that has approximately the same surface area. AFE has a great reputation for making good diesel air filters, but there are other options as well. It was about $5 more than a replacement K&N filter and much cheaper than a whole new intake system and way cheaper than a new turbo.

Thanks that all makes sense I will get a little more use out of it and probably change over to the same one your running then. Now that one you suggested will fit right on the one I have though right...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. I got it without checking the deltas. I know. I know. Anyway, I replaced the belt and tensioner today and the squeaking stopped at idle, but still squeaks when lightly throttled up. Ac on/ac off no difference. Sound seems to be coming from the alternator area. There was also a roar and the new tensioner seems to have fixed that. Any ideas on the squeaky belt? A boost leak crossed my mind, but it's more of a squeak than a whistle and it don't sound like air. So it's gotta be the belt.

Last edited by Polkville; 02-22-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Mispelled word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.