Maintenance Advice on my new PS!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Maintenance Advice on my new PS!!!

Hey Guys,

Been doing a ton of research and haven't really found a consensus. I just bought a 2006 f250 with 54K on it and am doing everything. I bought AMSOIL fluids and Motocraft/rancor filters. I'm doing oil, front and rear diff (AMSOIL Severe gear oil), transmission, transfer case and replacing oil, transmission external and both fuel filters.

My research has netted me some good answers on the above. The only thing I cannot reach a decision on is coolant as I want to flush my cooling system. Many say stick with gold and add a filter, others say go to CAT red and add a filter.

Either way, I think I'll be doing a bypass filter and will perform a flush. i.e. drop lower radiator hose and fill degas with distilled water, drive around and repeat 4-5 times until clear. Also, should I flush with restore even if adding gold again? Will restore help decontaminate my oil cooler if there's debris? Any guidance is appreciated!

Also, noticed my instrument cluster has two temp gauges on the right hand side, is one oil and one coolant? I know I'm suppose to monitor those two temperatures to ensure an unplugged oil cooler and want to know if gauges will be necessary or if those will be sufficient. Thanks for the help in advance!

And an obligatory pic of the new rig! Out of the cummins, into the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Hey Guys,

Been doing a ton of research and haven't really found a consensus. I just bought a 2006 f250 with 54K on it and am doing everything. I bought AMSOIL fluids and Motocraft/rancor filters. I'm doing oil, front and rear diff (AMSOIL Severe gear oil), transmission, transfer case and replacing oil, transmission external and both fuel filters.

My research has netted me some good answers on the above. The only thing I cannot reach a decision on is coolant as I want to flush my cooling system. Many say stick with gold and add a filter, others say go to CAT red and add a filter.

Either way, I think I'll be doing a bypass filter and will perform a flush. i.e. drop lower radiator hose and fill degas with distilled water, drive around and repeat 4-5 times until clear. Also, should I flush with restore even if adding gold again? Will restore help decontaminate my oil cooler if there's debris? Any guidance is appreciated!

Also, noticed my instrument cluster has two temp gauges on the right hand side, is one oil and one coolant? I know I'm suppose to monitor those two temperatures to ensure an unplugged oil cooler and want to know if gauges will be necessary or if those will be sufficient. Thanks for the help in advance!

And an obligatory pic of the new rig! Out of the cummins, into the

The 2 temp gauges are trans and coolant both are a JOKE when they move it is to late.
Get a coolant filter on ASAP to remove the casting sand and other junk in the system must be in place for 5-7000 miles before a coolant flush to help from plugging the oil cooler from the silicate goo when useing the Restore.
You can order here
Performance Machine & MFG. 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Coolant Filtration System
or here this is a good deal
Ford Superduty Powerstroke 2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filter Kit
I used 48 gallons of distilled water 1/2 gallon Restore 1/2 gallon Restore+ 3 1/2 gallons Delo ELC coolant new Ford t/stat 1/4 tank of fuel and 12.5hrs of my time but my system is clean.
But you need gauges to do a flush to keep an eye on coolant temps.
the Edge Insight CTS a great tool, get the expandable probe so if you want to add more to it down the line plus you can run 8 things at one time.
Edge Inisight CTS
Things you can add down the line like turbo timer & back up Monitor & fuel pressure
The Edge accessory system (EAS) was created with future expandability in mind Product Code: EDG98603
Edge Products – CTS UPDATE: Turbo Timer Install | Toy Hauler Adventures Product Code: EDG98604
Insight CTS Monitor by Edge Products | Toy Hauler Adventures
Ford Powerstroke 6.0L fuel pressure monitor and low pressure fix. | Toy Hauler Adventures
or you can order here
Diesel Performance Parts & Products | Alligator Performance

Lot of guys get the ScanGaugeII to me not as good as the Edge because you can not use the pyro a must if you pull
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
Hope this helps
2 stroker
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 AM
War is the answer!

I have half a bottle of restore and restore plus just sitting on my floor. You dont live in Florida do you? I would just give it to you so you dont have to pay for it.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM

The flush will not clear your oil cooler. If anything it will plug it up which is why it's recommended to purchase a coolant filter first to trap most of the junk in there.follow the advice that 2stroker has posted. Also, there are some good reads about recently acquiring your PS stickied somewhere. I don't have the links on my phone. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I will grab a coolant filter and go from there!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
I have half a bottle of restore and restore plus just sitting on my floor. You dont live in Florida do you? I would just give it to you so you dont have to pay for it.
Way cool of you to offer, thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in socal, we couldn't be further away! lol
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Coolant filter after a monitor of some sort!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM

My sinister coolant filtration system will be here today and my edge cts with eas for egt will be here tomorrow can't wait Thursday im installing both plus deleting my cat and muffler going to stay factory exhaust for now until I can get some money together for my 4in exhaust im going to change to all said and done my truck should sound better and look way cooler with the cts installed by friday morning ill look and sound great

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

If you are going to start doing your own service work, might I suggest:

Water drain valve:

DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade

Fumoto oil drain valve:

F-111 or the F-111N The "N" has a nipple to attach a drain tube.

I went with the F-111N. For ease? No, Ford charged me $15 for a new copper washer for their drain plug. Not any more!

That tranny canister might be tight, use an impact wrench if you see you are twisting lines. And put it back on snug. Remember to oil o-rings on every filter.

And as tempting as it is, try not to use that neat little 1/2" drive in the fuel filter cap. They tend to break, use a socket.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post

I thought the username looked familiar...

Like mentioned above I would run the coolant filter first...maybe run a Donaldson P554685 (20 microns @50%) for a few thousand miles and then a ECF4085 (14 microns @98.7%) for a bit before flushing. Might be a big overkill but should get most of the crap out. Coolant in a 6.0 is a bit contested, this forum is pretty pro-ELC, something meeting Cat EC-1, Cummins 14603 or Navistar B-1 should take care of you.

Another thing to consider with a 6.0 is a diesel rated 10w-30...

6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this.

Amsoil makes a GREAT one:
AMSOIL - Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (ACD)

IIRC the 5r110 requires Mercon SP (now Mercon LV) so just a heads up when servicing the trans.

Welcome to the darkside and nice looking truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.