I was told 6.0 are crap!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was told 6.0 are crap!!!!!

I have a 96 F250 7.3 and was thinking about getting a 2005 F250
with the 6.0 but was told they weren't worth having. So I want to
ask y'all about them. This guy told we something about how the
redesigned turbo wouldn't any good. That there was terrible lag and
that to tow something you needed to start off going down hill.
I got the feeling this guy is full of sh-t! The 7.3 is my first diesel so
I'm still relatively new to all this so any help would be appreciated.
I've done some reading on the studs, oil cooler and EGR but really
need first hand accounts. This told we if I got rid of the 96 7.3 and
got the 05 6.0 I would be sorry and regret it. The guy I may be getting
the 6.0 has had 4 of them and says he loves them.
I tow a camper or trailer my Jeep maybe a dozen times a year.

Last edited by kpowerstroke; 02-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
The 6.0 has a bad rap because they came out at about the same time forums got big. A vocal minority has given them a bad name, most of them are out there doing what they do best.....WORK.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A 7.3 is just as bad if you don't maintain it at all either.
It's just dumb people who don't know how/don't want to spend money to properly take care of a 6.0/
Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree. Most of the bad rep about the 6.0 is from people that don't know crap about the motor. Your obviously on the forum, so you have a step in the right direction and will know what to monitor and things to do to prevent issues. That being said.... I absolutely LOVE my 6.0. It has done everything that I've asked it to do from daily driving, towing goosenecks, riding around in the woods, pulling out stuck trucks (including one 18 wheeler!!), drag racing, and just being a great truck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. But you have to know the issues, and take care of them in the beginning and you'll be very satisfied. IMO.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 96 7.3 4x4 5 speed (248k) truck is just for towing 10 or 12 times a year. I try to drive it at least once a week. Some times
I will drive several days to work (80 miles round trip). So the 05 6.0 4x4 automatic (182k) would see about the same use.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

03 6.0 195,000 yea I love my 6.0 too, When it works, but thats the problem its something all the time. Jesilvas said dumb people don't want to spend money to keep it maintained, That is the problem its money all the time to keep it running right. A lot of the trucks I see on here have low mileiage, under 100,000 or so, just wait till they get above 150 or so. My daughter has an 07 6.0 with 150,000 it has stayed in the shop regularly since about 100,000. Like I said I absolutly love mine,guess thats why I keep putting money in it to keep it running, I thought the reason for a diesel was that its supposed to run long time with no probs. In New Mexico the oil field uses ford powerstrokes and the guys driving them love them,but they will tell you in a heartbeat that they couldn'e afford to own one because of all the breakdowns,most own dodge cummins with 4-5-6 hundred thousand miles on them, I would bet my last dollar that no 6.0 ever saw much over 300,000 if that much. I know this will p**s a lot of people off but the truth is the truth.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
KING of BLING!

I have seen 6.0's with over 500k. Hot shot trucks none the less. So you know they were worked. I know this motor has a bad rap and maybe it is for a good reason. None of the mods we have now were available back in 2003-04 when people with these motors had the majority of their problems. Most people complaining about their 6.0 have lacked the right maintenance and their trucks are usually bone stock too. I would get another one w/o a doubt.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I like my truck a lot. It has 136k on it. I've only put 7k on it myself. Had a good OASIS and I haven't had any real issues. Had the FICM done for $70 and added a coolant filter. No chips, no tuners, stock.

That being said. I would never recommend a 6.0 to a friend. Don't want that kind of responsibility. Why? Because anything can happen at any time and can cost thousands to repair.

I'm at the point where I'm ride gonna it out, but I'm always concerned. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie32567 View Post
03 6.0 195,000 yea I love my 6.0 too, When it works, but thats the problem its something all the time. Jesilvas said dumb people don't want to spend money to keep it maintained, That is the problem its money all the time to keep it running right. A lot of the trucks I see on here have low mileiage, under 100,000 or so, just wait till they get above 150 or so. My daughter has an 07 6.0 with 150,000 it has stayed in the shop regularly since about 100,000. Like I said I absolutly love mine,guess thats why I keep putting money in it to keep it running, I thought the reason for a diesel was that its supposed to run long time with no probs. In New Mexico the oil field uses ford powerstrokes and the guys driving them love them,but they will tell you in a heartbeat that they couldn'e afford to own one because of all the breakdowns,most own dodge cummins with 4-5-6 hundred thousand miles on them, I would bet my last dollar that no 6.0 ever saw much over 300,000 if that much. I know this will p**s a lot of people off but the truth is the truth.
Yhea OK!!! All my issues were under 100k from the prior owner. After the issues were taking care of that the prior owner had neglected, I haven't had had any major issues. Bought it used with 80k on it, now I'm at 188k. I LOVE MY 6.0!!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

maybe I just got a bad one, bought it at 84,000 from a rich farmer that had the truck worked on by ford dealership anytime he had an issue so he kept it maintained. Now I have 195,000 and if you can name I've just about had it happen to this truck, it never ends. There are too many sensors,electronic controls to be reliable, goin down the road one day pulling my 20ft stock trailer loaded at about 55mph, all of a sudden the auto trans downshifted all the way to 1rst gear, stood the truck on its nose, engine revved to close to 4 grand luckily I had the quick sense to knock it into neutral before the engine blew, it was a sensor gone bad on the fan shroud, that cost me 500 bucks from ford. Something all the time but like I said I love the 6.0 when its running right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.