Seeking some advice... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seeking some advice...

2006 f250 CC lariat 136k stock for the most part. I added a coolant filer 2 months ago. The eot/ect delta is running a larger gap now a days 10-14. it's has the stock oil and egr coolers according to original owner.

I've decided to do the EGR and Oil cooler at the local Ford dealer. Gonna do the Bullet Proof cooler and stock Oil cooler since I'm in California. Gonna change the STC (?) connector as well.

What else should I have done while it's apart?

The second part to this is that I'd like to try a tune. I don't want to blow my head gaskets, ruin my transmission, etc. Gearhead/ Innovative are names that get thrown around.

Are they safe to run? I don't beat on my truck. Just thought it would be fun to try since I'm well out of warranty and I'm taking steps to fix some weak spots.

I don't have a lift or tires. Not planning on any. I do need to tow on occasion so I need to maintain that ability.

Need some sound conservative and prudent advice on both questions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you're out of warranty why have ford do the work? I'm 99% that you can do a full egr delete just leave or put back the valve when it's time for visual inspection. Maybe consider flushing the block with restore and restore + before installing a new oil cooler? Or else, over time, oil coolers will continually fail. Where are you in ca?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm in Santa Cruz, but willing to drive if you can recommend a a place. Yes, the delete would be ideal, but don't want any future emissions hassle.

Would the block still need flushing after all this time? It's had the coolant changed 3 times. I guess I figured whatever was in there would be long gone.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM

I will PM you where to take your truck. You don't have to go far. The tech at the dealership used to be a moderator and "tech" on this site but as since moved on. Yea the block needs to be flushed in every 6.0....even the 6.4 come with casting sand. I messed up and did not do a restore flush before my studs. But I don't remember in 2009 if people knew about restore and restore+ flushes. My deltas were 30* difference and I got a new oil cooler in the summer of 2009. It will have to be replaced after you flush. If it's had the "coolant changed" 3 times then I'm guessing it was just a dealer version of a flush which more than likely will just clog the oil cooler when they do it. I had the dealer do a flush about a year before I got the studs done and I personally think that is why my deltas were 30* difference. Restore and restore+ flush, studs, coolant filter and egr delete and IMO that is pretty bulletproof.

Last edited by DoubleDpsd; 02-17-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM

PM sent .
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM

The “stealth EGR delete” is to pull the cooler, weld the exhaust and intake manifold ports shut and reinstall. Then leave the valve in place so that no trouble codes are sent to the computer and your fan and turbo continue to function correctly.

This is a super cheap mod. This will solve all of your EGR related issues, it looks stock and the smog inspection will be easy to pass.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will the "stealth set up" throw a code? Are there any other precautions to take besides just welding it shut.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM

No nope no codes. here a link for more info on the topic

No longer a 6.0 virgin. New STC, Cleaned turbo, welded EGR cooler closed. PIC's
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM

I went with a sinister mfg egr cooler and a stock oil cooler. I did it by myself, but my truck was down for a few days. Also had to clean out my EGR valve. I can't recommend a "stealth" setup, don't want to be responsible for you getting in trouble. I only live an hour and a half east of you. Here's a shop just north of us in Concord: left coast diesel. I've never had service there, but I like to know my options in case something is above my skill/tool set. If you're gonna keep this truck, I'd go all the way in for the headstuds and hit everything on the way out.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I don't think left coast will install an egr delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.