EGR Delete - different question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete - different question

So, I just had an oil cooler replaced and the EGR deleted (kit from NADP but looks like BD Power) and the kit keeps the actual EGR valve in the intake manifold. Is there much point to fully removing it and putting the block off plate on? In my mind there is some restriction from leaving it installed but I was hoping for some feedback from others who have left in as well as those who have fully removed it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremexj View Post
So, I just had an oil cooler replaced and the EGR deleted (kit from NADP but looks like BD Power) and the kit keeps the actual EGR valve in the intake manifold. Is there much point to fully removing it and putting the block off plate on? In my mind there is some restriction from leaving it installed but I was hoping for some feedback from others who have left in as well as those who have fully removed it. Thanks.
Any restriction there may be is outweighed by the unmolested air flow to the turbo with the cooler deleted. I left mine in, and I still saw an improvement over just ditching the cooler. My truck actually has bottom end throttle response now!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
pull the intake elbow off and look down in the hole, then tell me if you think the valve being in place is still restrictive

seriously though, where the valve is has no impact on airflow to the cylinders. it's not in the direct path of the intake charge.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its not hurting anything by leaving it in where its at, just leave in plugged in electrically.

Depending on what strategy your PCM is running, when you disconnect the EGR valve electrically with the '03-'04 VXAP2 strategy it prevents the vanes from running thru the vane sweep cycle at idle. IIRC, the '05-07 strategies with a "9" in it and the EGR valve unplugged electrically causes the clutch fan from reaching full RPM.

God knows what else may be not working right with the EGR valve unplugged. IMO, your better off just leaving it in the manifold and keep it plugged in electrically.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't see a problem with leaving it in.

I do sometimes, some people that live in PA that I've worked on their trucks actually have me leave it in so they can pass a visual inspection.

Every one that I do leaves out of the shop with innovative custom tuning so anything strategy/electrically wise is taken care of.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll leave in it for now and see how it runs and then maybe I'll experiment with removing it completely later.

I hadn't heard about the 03-04 issue with not cycling the vanes if the EGR was unplugged. I would imagine that doesn't apply if the EGR is turned off in my tunes though. My EGR valve should be in really good shape seeing as how it's been turned off for about 5 years now.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
seriously though, where the valve is has no impact on airflow to the cylinders. it's not in the direct path of the intake charge.
This is EXACTLY the question I wanted answered. I was trying to find a good cut-away pic that showed how it sat in the intake so I would know for sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremexj View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll leave in it for now and see how it runs and then maybe I'll experiment with removing it completely later.

I hadn't heard about the 03-04 issue with not cycling the vanes if the EGR was unplugged. I would imagine that doesn't apply if the EGR is turned off in my tunes though. My EGR valve should be in really good shape seeing as how it's been turned off for about 5 years now.
Myself and many others with the '03-'04 VXAPN strategy has experienced the no cycle vane issue when the valve was unplugged electrically.

Even when running custom tunes with the valve turned off.

You can find the EGR valve cut away view in the 6.0 bible up in the 6.0 tech section on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.