Auto to manual locking hubs on an 06 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Auto to manual locking hubs on an 06

Just curious if anyone with the auto hubs on an 06 has ever swapped these with the factory manual hubs? Would it be as easy as just swapping hubs then you would true manual hubs?I realize I would then have to get out of the truck to lock them and then I could flip the switch to engage 4wd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There were no manual locking hubs for the 06 model year. The manual hubs that were used (or are available) for earlier year axles won't fit (think they changed for 05). To swap in manual hubs, I have only found one place that makes them, and they are in the $1500 range. That buys a few sets of auto-hubs....
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
There were no manual locking hubs for the 06 model year. The manual hubs that were used (or are available) for earlier year axles won't fit (think they changed for 05). To swap in manual hubs, I have only found one place that makes them, and they are in the $1500 range. That buys a few sets of auto-hubs....
I believe you are half correct. I know that aftermarket wise they do not make any manual hubs for the trucks that are 05 and up, unless you add a dynatrac no spin kit. But as far as from the factory goes you can get manual hubs that were put on these trucks that have the manual pull lever for 4wd. So as of right now I have the ESOF model. I was just curious if I were to get the manual hubs from the dealer if they would work. Hope that all makes sense.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

I have also been curious if the factory manual hubs would interchange with the auto hubs.

I would love to get rid of the auto hubs, but don't have the $$ for the Dynatrac conversion! But I keep thinking about it
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 AM
information regurgitator

You are correct, I was half correct. Don't know what I was thinking...
I went through the specs I have for the 06 model year, and there is no mention of the difference between the two axle setups (manual lock/auto lock).
You would think that if the stub axles or knuckles were different, there would be a separate listing in the Ford spec sheet.
CLICK HERE to download that Ford spec sheet as a pdf file, if you want to check it out.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

One thing to consider is that when you switch to the manual hubs, if you can, you must plug the vacuum line that actuates the auto hubs. If you don't your climate control will be stuck on defrost, which sucks. Also, in my experience, unless you do lots of hardcore off-roading you are better off keeping the auto-hubs. It is rather inconvenient having to stop, loose all your momentum, get out, and lock your hubs everytime you want to cross a little mud puddle or go up a slippery hill in the snow, JMO.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In trying to diagnose my vacuum leak on psn and psa some were telling me my hubs were auto and they were supposed to lock automatically when I switched the in cab esof to 4lo but my hubs have never locked automatically I have always had to get out of the truck and turn the hubs with my hands even before my vacuum leak. So is there a difference or am I confused? Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Do you have manual or auto hubs? manual hubs will say lock and free as the two positions while auto hubs say lock and auto as the to positions.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they say "lock" and "auto". But like I said, before any vacuum leak, I had to manually lock the hubs AFTER i switched the in cab esof switch to 4lo.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Did the hubs work in 4hi ? maybe they are supposed to do that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.