6.0 - Best oil to use - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.0 - Best oil to use

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the website, but I have been reading for a few months now. I have read several opinions in regards to the question I am going to ask, but I want to be 100% sure. I live in Indiana now and the truck lived in Texas before I bought it. I am coming up on the next oil change and want opinions on the best oil to use. I see alot of people running synthetic 5W-40, but what brand? I also do not know when the last time the fuel filters have been changed, so I just orderded those and will be completing that at the same time of the oil change. Post your thoughts on what oil is normal, however please note that I am wanting synthetic, rather than normal oil. Thanks!

Edit: The truck is a 2005 F250 6.0 XLT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have run both Rotella T6 and Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, both 5W-40. I know a lot of guys on here don't like T6 but between the two I feel like the Mobile 1 is a little smoother and quieter. What is most important is that you change it regularly (5K) and use Motorcraft Filters. Fuel Filters should be chanegd every 10K and make sure you use only Motorcraft Filters. They might cost a little more but it will pay off in the long run. A set of injectors isn't cheap.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
i've been running T6 for a the past few oil changes now, and i personally think i'm going to go back to Mobil 1. It made the truck run much quieter and smoother.
This could all be placebo effect, however its just my experiences. Both are going to get the job done as long as you change your oil every 5k without exceptions.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM

I understand that maintance is key, and am going to keep on that no matter what. It appears that fuel filters are not "Motorcraft" as reccomended, but they did state they are OEM quality (or better), should I ditch these and go with Motorcraft, or will they be ok this time around and get Motorcraft next time? I have not picked up the oil filter, but I will be sure to get the Motorcraft brand. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I believe the "Motorcraft" filters are actually made by Racor, so it is possible that they are the same. If not, then it would be best just to buy the mororcraft filters. I use T6 and have no intention to switch. Some say Mobil 1 is better, but it is also more expensive, and harder to get for me. If you really want great oil, you should bet Redline if you have a butt-ton of cash buring a hole in your pocket. The main thing is that you change it regularily
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Youa re going to get all kinds of answers, and every single person who gives you an answer will tell you that their oil is THE ONLY one to use. Personally I run Rotalla T6 5-40 synthetic. My truck starts easier in the cold and gets better mileage on it vs regular ford motorcraft oil.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM

I see that Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Engine oil is at Walmart for about $26 per gallon. However when I look online at Rotella T6, it doesn't appear to be for sale at Walmart and online it goes for like $27 per gallon. Where do you Rotella T6 users buy your oil?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

i only run amsoil, its more expensive but i feel its worth it, and ford filters
mike
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubalicious View Post
I see that Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Engine oil is at Walmart for about $26 per gallon. However when I look online at Rotella T6, it doesn't appear to be for sale at Walmart and online it goes for like $27 per gallon. Where do you Rotella T6 users buy your oil?
My local Wal Mart keeps the T6 in stock usually. And it sells for about $21 a gallon.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMX117 View Post
My local Wal Mart keeps the T6 in stock usually. And it sells for about $21 a gallon.
x2

I've only had my PSD for 2,500 miles but I think I will be using T6 when I change the oil at 5k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.