Another NEWB delete post: Need some reassurances - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another NEWB delete post: Need some reassurances

Guys/Gals,

Profusely appologize ahead of time for everyone having to endure another one of these, as I know there are endless threads and posts on this stuff. I couldn't find what I was looking for that way, so...

It looks like a deal can be made, so I'm proceeding forward. The issue I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is the deletes. It can't be too hard, as fishmedic proved on his EX (great thread, BTW). Here's a guy with zero mechanical experience getting the job done and right the first time. I've been tinkering with machines for over 30 years and have been a professional ground support equipment mechanic for 17. Even so, this is intimidating to me (at least the visual part of it; looks like a nightmare under there). I believe the medic had the mental tools needed to tackle a job like this (concentration, patience and attention to detail), qualities that I lack. What I have is experience and access to every tool required.

Saying that, my worry stems from the bad experience I had with my 444; not the truck's fault. A $150 HPOP line ended up costing me over $2,000 because my pride said it would be an easy fix (should have been); lack of patience and time conspired to derail it from the start. I lost the IPR, cut one of the marmon clamps to get it off the hot side of the turbo, used the wrong o-rings (rubber instead of Vyton) and had to pull it all back apart, twisted a fuel line pulling the FPR off, and ton of other newbie mistakes. Plus, I hate having to climb and crawl in small, crowded spaces. I should have called it and just let a pro handle it. Oh, well, lesson learned.

I've trolled nearly every delete forum on here, but I don't learn from written instructions. Also, my ADD kicks in after the first page and I start noticing the shiny stuff or how dirty everything is and loose focus. I've got the Who, When and Why parts covered; what I don't have is:

What am I actually replacing, plugging or tossing? And Where is it located? Some clear pics would be a great help.

The how acually goes both ways. I've cleaned EGR valves (always seem to loose at least one bolt) but that's about it.

Once I get started I know it will probably become self-explanitory (as what happens with most of my projects). It's just that, right now having not done one before, it's intimidating and I'm seriously lacking confidence. Downright scarry in that bay, in fact.

What I will have plenty of is time; I plan on getting this done next spring before heading to TX after the kids are out of school.

Last edited by nc1500; 02-15-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Lost paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Emergency Services

Need to finish the post bud lol
Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

I did; this is the second one in less than an hour that got cut off (three times for the other). Our server SUX

Last edited by nc1500; 02-15-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Basically, I'm just nervous about doing what I know needs to be done; either I'm going to try it and (suceed for fail) or I'm going to pay someone big money to do it. I'm sure I'm not the first, or last, who feels this way. I have hard earned experience, but this is a truck I can't afford to keep breaking.

Feels like I'm about to loose my virginity again (hopefully more gentle and less embarrasing this time!!!)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do it yourself. If I can do it then anyone can do it. Basicall once you get the turbo out its easy as pie.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1500 View Post
I did; this is the second one in less than an hour that got cut off (three times for the other). Our server SUX
When you sign in on this forum, click and check the "Remember Me" box. Been there!Done that!!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Like the old saying "once bitten, twice shy". The turbo does look easier to remove than the 444, though. Another (and probably more important) consideration is I don't want eyes burning into the back of my head when I'm out working on it; the boss remembers good and well what happened with the last SD.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

At least, being worried about it like I am, will give me the proper motivation to research everything ahead of time. Just need to find the best delete kit, tuner, exhaust, etc, and spend the $$$ wisely the first time.

So far research has higlighted tons of little items I need to pay attention to (IPR, filters, boots, gaskets, wiring and connectors, and on...) If I made a list it would probably be pages long; just need to stay focused and priortize.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
information regurgitator

Before you spend money on delete kits, exhaust systems and other doo-dads/shiny bits, get yourself an electronic gauge set and monitor the engine. This is the single most important thing to have on a 6.0
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM

What NYC said^^^^^^^. I was where you are right now, but after I got my Edge and see my deltas are good I am going to leave it for now. I also did the coolant filter as that makes a lot of sense to me. Now I know everything is running the ways its supposed to, I'm going to leave it stock and pray to the 7lb 10oz baby Jesus I dont blow the HG's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.