What mileage to replace Ford Gold Coolant? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What mileage to replace Ford Gold Coolant?

I've read all the posts about Ford Gold Coolant and have decided that I'm changing mine out ELC. I'd like to do it myself, but closer to the spring when temps are warmer outside. (I don't have a garage at the moment.)

I know that it's a crap shoot running the Gold coolant and it should have never been used by Ford in the first place, but how many miles have people gotten on this stuff? My truck is a '06 but only had 26K miles on it. I'm I good to wait a couple of months? Max mileage until I can get it changed would be ~30K miles since it is not my daily driver.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
information regurgitator

Read the Ford TSB on the subject of when to check/maintain and replace your Ford Gold Coolant.
Ford TSB 09-8-5 click here
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think you can get a meaningful answer to your question without a monitor to tell you the difference in temps between oil and coolant. That's the indicator that tells you whether it's too late.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Only a test kit analysis of the nitrite level will say "how long" you have left on the coolant's properties. Fleetguard or Accustrip test strips will indicate freeze point (definitely a noteworthy reading although few have issues here), nitrite/carboxylate/molybdate concentration (this is one of the most critical measurements for coolant), pH, alkalinity, etc. You may also have a laboratory analysis of a sample provide chemical information. I have used these three labs:
Blackstone Labs
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.
Motorcraft's Premium Gold comes out of the bottle with about the minimum nitrite concentration for cavitation/corrosion protection (...I don't have the document in front of me at work - yes I am goofing off at the moment - but I think it is 800ppm). Addition of the VC-8 Motorcraft recharge will boost nitrite concentration when low. My experience with nitrite based coolants (not those mixed with carboxylates or molybdates which held delay the conversion of nitrites) is "new in two" so a 2006 to present run is likely to have depleted the nitrites under the "acceptable" threshold.

If you want to wait until a flush, then I encourage a test of the coolant - and likely boost of the current coolant with VC-8. The VC-8 is blue so it will change the yellow coolant to a green color BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT "UNIVERSAL" AUTOMOTIVE COOLANT.

Ok? Ok.

Jonathan
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoser View Post
I don't think you can get a meaningful answer to your question without a monitor to tell you the difference in temps between oil and coolant. That's the indicator that tells you whether it's too late.
You definitely dont want to wait for the numbers on your monitor to go out to flush your coolant that will just tell you its wayy over due and you need a new oil cooler. I think its about 50k between flushes for the Ford gold.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Only a test kit analysis of the nitrite level will say "how long" you have left on the coolant's properties. Fleetguard or Accustrip test strips will indicate freeze point (definitely a noteworthy reading although few have issues here), nitrite/carboxylate/molybdate concentration (this is one of the most critical measurements for coolant), pH, alkalinity, etc. You may also have a laboratory analysis of a sample provide chemical information. I have used these three labs:
Blackstone Labs
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.
Motorcraft's Premium Gold comes out of the bottle with about the minimum nitrite concentration for cavitation/corrosion protection (...I don't have the document in front of me at work - yes I am goofing off at the moment - but I think it is 800ppm). Addition of the VC-8 Motorcraft recharge will boost nitrite concentration when low. My experience with nitrite based coolants (not those mixed with carboxylates or molybdates which held delay the conversion of nitrites) is "new in two" so a 2006 to present run is likely to have depleted the nitrites under the "acceptable" threshold.

If you want to wait until a flush, then I encourage a test of the coolant - and likely boost of the current coolant with VC-8. The VC-8 is blue so it will change the yellow coolant to a green color BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT "UNIVERSAL" AUTOMOTIVE COOLANT.

Ok? Ok.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

I appreciate your input as well. I'm going to test the coolant but still replace it, probably in the spring. I'm getting a raft of crap from my father-in-law, (a retired Colonel US Army, 82nd), he's a Dodge guy. We got the Ford 6.0L in spite of all the "issues" because it looks like if you keep up on regular maintenance things aren't so bad. I'm just looking to run it stock... we're moving closer to her parents and needed a bigger truck to move the farm.

Bill
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best time would have been 26k ago, but like someone said getting some gauges on it will really let you know where you stand. I bought my truck with 39k on it and did the elc swap right away and as of now I have a 8* delta on the highway. Unless your delta is crazy high as of right now, I dont think waiting 2 months will hurt much.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dump it NOW. That junk isn't fine wine getting better....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.