Considering buying a '06 F250
I've been in the market for a truck the past couple months. I looked at an '06 F250 6.0 with 114,xxx about two months back. We were unable to iron out a deal (they were asking 23,900 at the time). I was on their website yesterday and noticed that the same truck is down to 16,900 now, which is almost 9 grand below the blue book.
When I took this truck for a test drive back in November I did not notice any problems, of course, there may be problems which I might not be able to notice until I actually start maintaining it (for example the well known slow coolant leak that is the precursor to other problems).
Previously this truck was used by a older EMT guy, he didn't beat on it but I know he was getting good use out of the turbo. These trucks do like to be pushed so it is actually probably better off than a truck which was babied. I looked at the towing hitch, looked like it was used a couple times but nothing worth noting.
The body and interior looked to be in excellent condition, seemed to be well maintained, under body is rust free (we live in salt-country so that is good news).
This truck is in a dealer lot so I am making the assumption that once they bought it they checked it out, changed fluids, etc. Dealer does have a pretty good rep around the area, I knew the owner (he was a good guy), dated his daughter for awhile but that didn't work out so I cant cut a deal that way.
I know some of these trucks do last a couple hundred miles stock with almost no problems, but its hard for me to take a risk on that since from what I've heard it is extremely rare. This truck will be my work truck so I can't be down and out for a couple weeks if my engine konks out on me.
Currently I'm trying to decide whether to go for this truck, or go back to looking at gassers (which there aren't really any 6.8's around here). I'm going to be towing a 5-6lb trailer occasionally, and there's a good chance that when I'm towing that I'll have another 1-2,000lbs in the back as well so I'm really trying to stay away from the 5.4.
If I buy this I'm really not sure if I will just try to pull the engine, and bulletproof the new engine or just keep my fingers crossed that this one doesn't die on me.
Any advice on this would be a plus.
EDIT: I checked the OASIS report last time I was there. Nothing of circumstance in the report. He had his maintenance done elsewhere.
Last edited by MarcG; 01-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Reason: Forgot something