Window lock kills upfitter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Window lock kills upfitter

Does anybody else have thw window child lock that shuts off the upfitter switchs? This seems kinda weird to me and my freinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anybody there ?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have upfitter switches. I have the automatic window lockout control on the driver door to prevent passenger and rear seat window control operation. My upfitter switches operate independent of the automatic window lockout control.

If your question is, "Should the window lock feature affect upfitter switch operation?"
The answer is, "No."

I would check the wiring harness for a short or loss of ground.

Jonathan
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Or some one installed the upfitter switches later and taped into the Child lock power wire by mistake. You can trace the fitter harness back to its connection point and see if its factory or aftermarket.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
Or some one installed the upfitter switches later and taped into the Child lock power wire by mistake. You can trace the fitter harness back to its connection point and see if its factory or aftermarket.
I have the factory window sticker so i know they were not added later.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Serving Our Country!

Do you mean you are the original owner and requested the upfitter switches with specific functions like high idle, off-road lights, air compressor, etc.? And these functions have always been disabled by the activation of the automatic window lock feature? Does the "original window sticker" indicate your upfitter switch functions?

I am very confused by the limited information provided for this malfunction. The upfitter switches are not all routed through the same fuse - or even the same size fuse - in the fuse block. Activation of the window lock feature disabling the switches almost exclusively indicates a short (not necessarily at the fuse block of course).

The owner's manual has a fuse block diagram (mine is page 218). Here is what my owner's manual indicates:
Upfitter Switch 1 = 30A fuse, block #108
Upfitter Switch 2 = 30A fuse, block #109
Upfitter Switch 3 = 10A fuse, block #3
Upfitter Switch 4 = 10A fuse, block #5
Door locks = 30A fuse, block #102
Power Windows = 30A fuse, block #601 (this is a larger sized fuse and lies between the upfitter switch fuses and the door lock fuse)

I provide this information to assist you in the tedious process of wire tracing and continuity checks. That is really the only way to determine the source of your electrical malfunction.

Jonathan
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post

I am very confused by the limited information provided for this malfunction. The upfitter switches are not all routed through the same fuse - or even the same size fuse - in the fuse block. Activation of the window lock feature disabling the switches almost exclusively indicates a short (not necessarily at the fuse block of course).

The owner's manual has a fuse block diagram (mine is page 218). Here is what my owner's manual indicates:
Upfitter Switch 1 = 30A fuse, block #108
Upfitter Switch 2 = 30A fuse, block #109
Upfitter Switch 3 = 10A fuse, block #3
Upfitter Switch 4 = 10A fuse, block #5
Door locks = 30A fuse, block #102
Power Windows = 30A fuse, block #601 (this is a larger sized fuse and lies between the upfitter switch fuses and the door lock fuse)

I provide this information to assist you in the tedious process of wire tracing and continuity checks. That is really the only way to determine the source of your electrical malfunction.

Jonathan
There is also a relay in the inside fusebox that is an Upfitter control relay, this would be a good place to check first because it is supposed to get power when the ignition is on.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

The Upfitter Control with a full ISO relay is #305 while the Upfitter Control at #115 is a plain 20A fuse. These aren't as close in proximity to the upfitter swich fuses (although wiring harness issues only require wire-to-wire proximity to short).

Since there seems to be a connection to the window lock feature I suspect the relay is good - but always good to double check everything when running a problem to ground.

Jonathan
Old 01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got it worked out today. I was having a delay when the radio and the windows would work after starting the truck sometimes. I switched the delay relay and the relay for the upfitters andforgot about it. It just so happened that the upfitter switch lite up when i turned the window lock off. This was just a weird thing that happened and that made me think that tey were tied together. Thanks for all the help but i just need a new relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.