LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What diffs do you guys run?

I'm going to have to put in a little lower gear front and rear in mine to get back to the original final drive ratio to overcome the larger tires.

How well do these trucks do in the snow and off-road with the stock differentials?

If they don't do very well, would I be OK just upgrading the front diff and leaving the rear alone?

I need something for the occasional snow and off-road during hunting season.

2005 CCSB 4x4 6.0L Harley
8" ProComp lift, 20" Rockstars, 37" Nittos, Fox Reservoir Shocks, Dual Fox stabilizers, 2008 Tailgate with camera, 4" Straight Piped (no muffs, no kitties), Nerfs, Lights, X3 tuned by IDP, CTS, Optima Red Tops, Line-X, AutoPage

post #2 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am pretty absolutely sure that if you change the gears in the front you are going to have to change the gears in the back, or you are going to tear stuff up when you are in 4x4.

These trucks do pretty good in my opinion off-road. I have the mods in my sig and stock suspension on 315's. When to play in the mud one night, the guy in the back passenger side didn't close his door all the way and I ended up with water/mud in the floorboard. No I didn't get stuck. In the middle of all of this I blew the IC boot out and lost most of my turbo.

2012 F250 Lariat CCSB FX4, Gooseneck and 5th wheel prep package, H&S Minimaxx, 5" AFE SS straight pipe, EGR delete with factory EGT sensor, 35" Toyo MT's on stock rims, and Bilstein 5160 shocks.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I know I have to change the ratio's in both front and back, but what I was talking about was putting some type of posi or selectable posi in the front and leaving the back open diff stock.

But I don't want to spend the money on some type of posi if I don't have to. Those selectable units are $$$.

8" ProComp lift, 20" Rockstars, 37" Nittos, Fox Reservoir Shocks, Dual Fox stabilizers, 2008 Tailgate with camera, 4" Straight Piped (no muffs, no kitties), Nerfs, Lights, X3 tuned by IDP, CTS, Optima Red Tops, Line-X, AutoPage

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

There is no way just to do the rear end without pulling everything apart when you put it into 4WD I did a diff change on my 97 cost $1400 went from 355 to 410 but still had to get my 06 to pull my 14000lb 5er plus lost about 4 mpg MT was it worth it NO still had to get another truck or smaller 5er and that was out.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS Expandable Pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC Coolant
Coolant Filtration System
pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

What spline count are the stock axles?

post #6 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a detroit locker in the rear and an auburn tru trac up front. Works fine for me. This combo works great in the mud and in snow. A selectable locker is best for the front to do the front dig and pull you around some tight area's. But, for general use, I would say put a posi in the rear and go on.

David

05 f250 ( double your pleasure ) underway

'10 f250 ccsb 4x4, project super mom 366/515 compounds, 200hp sticks, and all the other goodies
Most importantly, the car seat mod
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Most of the stock diffs are 373 look at your tag on the diff housing then do a search under Ford diff gear codes that should tell you what you have.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS Expandable Pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC Coolant
Coolant Filtration System
pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
I have a detroit locker in the rear and an auburn tru trac up front. Works fine for me. This combo works great in the mud and in snow. A selectable locker is best for the front to do the front dig and pull you around some tight area's. But, for general use, I would say put a posi in the rear and go on.
I've seen people on here complaining about a posi in the rear while on snow/ice which is understandable. So I figured a posi in the front would be perfect since it's only posi when I have it in 4WD. If money were no option then I'd probably run a posi or locker in the front and a selectable in the rear so I can leave it open when not needed and always have both front wheels 'on' when in 4WD.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Most of the stock diffs are 373 look at your tag on the diff housing then do a search under Ford diff gear codes that should tell you what you have.
2 stroker
I saw the tag, but that doesn't confirm that it's a 3.73, the previous owner could have changed the gears and left the tag on. I'm pretty sure they are the original gears though since they have a Dana part number on them.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If you are gonna re-gear don't even bother with 4.10s go straight to 4.56. Your mileage will change but you also won't be lugging the motor anymore. The front axle is 35 spline not sure on the sterling rear but pretty sure it is 35 also.

I would recommend a selectable in both if you could afford it but if not selectable in rear and LS in front.

Dik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode