How many CCA for the batteries? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many CCA for the batteries?

Hey guys. Just had our first really cold night here in DE. Went to start my truck this morning and it was a no go. Had to put on the Die Hard jump start battery to get the truck to turn over fast enough to fire up. The batteries I have in now are a set of Interstate's rated for 850A/1000CCA. Shouldn't this be enough or do I need more CCA on my batteries? Also the truck did not come with any block heater, is it possible to get one put on after the fact? My old one had one and it worked wonders, this truck originally came from NY, you would think it would have had one standard. Then again you would think Ford would make that a standard option no matter where you happen to live at...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM

BTW I checked the batteries over the past weekend and they were good. Tester showed them in the green and didn't even move to the weak part at all, of course it was in the 50's and didn't get down to the teens in the temps either... might be a case of the batteries getting weak when it gets really cold out.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Try putting a battery heater under your batteries, a block heater (which should be installed by factory), and a battery maintainer. Plug all these into one power block and plug into a timer. If this doesn't help, check your batteries and alternator.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The block heater is installed in all the blocks, but the cord is not sold in all states depending on your demographics. The dealer should be able to get you a cord, or check Ebay. I have heard that Interstate battery quality is in the toilet for some reason. I'm running $80 Costco batteries and they haven't haven't missed a beat this winter
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is some info about your block heater.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-20.php

To properly check your batteries, they need to be load tested. Just because the window is green and you have 11.5-12v down mean squat.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Here is some info about your block heater.
DTS Articles - 6.0L Block Heater Cord Location and Routing

To properly check your batteries, they need to be load tested. Just because the window is green and you have 11.5-12v down mean squat.
I did load test the batteries... the needle on the tester barely moved after holding on the switch for 10 seconds. But I also know from my years of driving big rigs as soon as the temp drops that's when you know if you have bad batteries or not. Thanks for the info. I will look into it.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you load test the batteries individually? ive got 3 year old autozone 800cca batteries that have yet to let me down. And i live in the northeast. Also might want to make sure your connections are good. Especially grounds!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM

I got quotes from Ford yesterday, one dealer quoted 750CCA, the other quoted 850CCA. I pulled my old batts, terminals were really bad and water level was low, I topped them off and load tested them without charging and they passed so I cleaned them up and put them back in, they were 850CCA Exides. If they still don't last I'll go with the Motorcraft 850CCA's. Coach
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

get the 880cca... batteries will show perfectly good voltage but can be bad, mine did. read 11v on both cranking but the cca only read 620 out of 880cca they replaced them on the spot.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm also in DE and my Motorcrafts have no issues kicking off the motor even on the colder mornings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.