Time for studs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for studs?

Popped the hood this morning fresh coolant on top of battery also cold see we're it hit the hood when it came out! But haven't herd puking and hasn't run hot! Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Watch it very carefully.

Might be your oil cooler is clogged. Could be time to delete the EGR and other updated parts if you have not done them.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Already deleted EGR, have guages and haven't seen anything unusual.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Possibly the degas cap has failed, go get a new one and also buy the coolant test kit to detect exhaust gases in the coolant system.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

If the puking you describe is accurate, studs aren't going to solve the current problem. You may want to invest in them for a sense of security but the sort of violent puking you describe indicates headgasket failure already. You may test for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant reservoir with a Lisle Combustion Leak Tester:
Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive

You need to address what caused the puking as studs won't prevent this from happening again universally.

You can pull the EGR valve to check for the presence of coolant in the intake manifold (park with the truck front end lower than the rear end or jack up the rear end a few inches). Coolant introduced to the intake is frequently the cause of headgasket failures. In many cases this is precipitated by a plugged oil cooler allowing the EGR cooler to rupture.

Before you get ARP studs though you ought to invest in gauges to monitor pressures and temperatures. The Edge Insight is highly regarded as are other OBDII capable digital packages (ScanGauge, SCT TSX, Banks iQ, etc.). You need to monitor coolant and oil temperatures to indirectly assess oil cooler efficiency. You need to monitor exhaust temperature to protect the turbo from overheating during operation as well as to gauge shut down conditions to avoid oil coking on the turboshaft. You need to monitor fuel pressure to avoid damage to the fuel injectors. I see the utility of monitoring the FICM voltage full-time as well. Transmission temperature is a useful measurement if you tow. All of these are more important than ARP studs in my opinion. The onboard stock gauges are truly inadequate for the task...glorified "idiot" lights that provide insufficient warning (as evident in your case if the headgaskets have indeed failed).

I also encourage the regular sampling of all fluids to determine their condition. Coolant may be tested easily for pH, nitrite/carboxylate/molybdate, freeze point with test strips. Oils - and coolant too - may be analyzed by mass spectrometer through mail order laboratories:
Blackstone Labs
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
or while you wait at an over-the-road truck service center. Knowing the fluid condition goes a long way in preventing future engine damages.

Get some testers/tests. Good luck!

Jonathan
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

After reading your recent post that you have gauges and an EGR delete I too echo the possibility of a cap failure or even a reservoir failure. My own reservoir developed a crack on the lower return but this would not produce coolant on the underside of the hood:

I do think the combustion gas leak test set is a good next step in the process of elimination game.

Jonathan
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Thank y'all very much!! Going to get one this evening!!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know nuttin....

If you decide you want to stud it, I have a brand new set of ARPs i wont be needing as well as a tube of arp stud lube...i'll make you a deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Possibly the degas cap has failed, go get a new one and also buy the coolant test kit to detect exhaust gases in the coolant system.
Bought the new cap! But when I asked about the coolant test strips they said they have never herd of that!! Lol

Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Acustrip Antifreeze Coolant Test Products

Here is a full lineup of test strips for various types of coolants.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.