New oil cooler and a 12 degree delta? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New oil cooler and a 12 degree delta?

I have been driving the truck last week and this week after installing a new oil cooler, a egr delete, ARP headstuds, and OEM gaskets. I have been running a coolant filter and ELC for a little over a year now after doing the flush. Before all the new parts I had a 5-6 degree delta and now after the new parts and repairs I have a 12 degree delta.

On Monday I drove the truck 45 minutes down the highway ran a few errands in the next town, so the truck was defenitly warmed up. Drove the truck home on the highway with the cruise control set at 65-67mph and had the ECT at 188-190 degrees and the EOT of 200-201 degrees. The outside temperature was about 48 degrees.
Yesterday same drive with the same results, outside temperature about 55 degrees.
This morning check the insight guages for the temperatures of the EOT and ECT after sitting all night to make sure the sensors were working, the EOT was 54 degrees and the ECT was 52 degrees, and the EGT probe was 54 degrees, outside temperature about 47 this morning.

I am running 15w-40 oil that was just changed, new filter, and Rotella ELC.

What is causing the high delta after the new parts? Do I need to be worried or since everything is new I am ok? Do I need to change the thermostat, should it be running hotter? If the concentration of ELC is too high will it cause this? Is the 15w-40 oil just not getting warm in the cooler weather? Thank you for the help.

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

Are you saying you did the flush and conversion to ELC one year ago and now (one year later) are seeing an increased temperature spread? Does that mean you haven't driven the truck for one year and recently replaced the oil cooler and headgaskets, installed an EGR delete, and used ARP studs?

If I am following all of this - and maybe I'm not but my answer I think is relevant regardless...you may have entrained air in the cooling system accounting for the greater temperature difference. A bubble will do that. Burp the system. I think the importance of eliminating air voids is often overlooked in a cooling system treatment.

Changing the thermostat is inexpensive peace-of-mind and if after testing it turns out to be ok then you have a spare.

I don't think the "low" temperature is the indicator here although since my truck is so heavy (16,000lbs) temperatures have to be much lower to increase the difference I observe between oil and coolant temperatures...YMMV.

BURP!

Jonathan
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

howell_jd,

I have been driving the truck since the flush and conversion to ELC that I did a year ago, I just wanted to mention that I have flushed and changed the system and that I wasnt having a problem before the new parts. I just replaced all the parts becuase the headgaskets blew in early December.

If there might be air in the system what is the best way to "Burp" the system and remove the air? Thank you.

Will
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I burp my vehicles I drive with the coolant cap loose so the system doesn't build pressure and compress the bubbles till the system is fully hot and the thermo opens
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Interesting...I've been wondering about getting all the air out of the system...I know it was always a problem on other vehicles I've had, but never really heard it mentioned here. I just thought the way the cooling system was set up made it easy for the air to get out or something. Maybe that's why my deltas went up after my flush!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I never thought of that myself. Working on hydronic heating systems they can air lock, and that will stop flow on that branch. Or at least reduce the flow.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have one of these to pull a vacuum on the cooling system

RADKITPLUSA, Vacuum/Filler, Cooling System
Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yes, the vacuum assist method avoids entrained air locks during a fill and may remove air locks as well. Here is a less expensive airlift tool available from Amazon but that SnapOn tool looks great too!
Amazon Amazon

If you don't have a vacuum tool the open cap with an elevated front end may move the bubble out of the system...the reservoir is supposed to be the high point but a kink in a line may form the lock that prohibits full flow.

Good luck!

Jonathan
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Subscribed....
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM

yeah i dont think your air locked. cooler is plugged again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.