How to plub a transfer tank to trucks fuel tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to plub a transfer tank to trucks fuel tank

I just ordered a 100 gal transfer tank for my '06 F350 (diesel, 4WD, automatic, short bed, crew cab, single rear wheel). My question is, what is the best way to connect the transfer tank to feed the OE fuel tank? I see Transfer Flow makes a unit, but it's like $600.00+. Other then weld a bung on the tank, put a hose on it with a valve, install a T on the fill neck and toss on a check valve. And yes, I know it's not going to be DOT legal in NYS. Screw em. I'm going to fill the transfer tank in NJ where it's .40 a gal cheaper.
*Just a note, the seal on the top of my tank leaks a little if I fill the truck up all the way. So I am planning to drop the tank, clean it out, and replace the seal. If somone has a way to pipe in the transfer tank, and dropping the OE tank is a "need to do", I am not opposed to going that route.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Have seen them done up here were they tie into the filler neck over-flow the small pipe.My 08 thats upside down in my sig had this done to it when the gauge on dash moved off full you knew the jockey tank was empty,it had no check valve just a hose running to the filler tube I bought it new and ran it to a little over 80000 km before I rolled it.There are transfer pumps out there small ones that work and you just run a switch but have heard that if you forget to shut it off it spills out the cap.Personal I like the pumps as you know when you need to fuel up and what you have left,thats what I didnt like about the 08 because it varied so much on fuel milage sometimes 5 mpg others 12 mpg you never knew how much fuel was in the tank unless you dipped or looked.But the whole time I had it it never leaked out the cap.Doesnt really answer your question but it is ones experiance.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I prefer to run my tank as a auxilary so I can flip a switch and pick which tank to draw from.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

100 gallon tank dang thats about 1000lbs+ i'm thinking of a 45 gallon made for the Roll-N-Lock bed cover i have, out of sight safer
This may help, a good wright up and everything you will need.
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...2008-02-25.pdf
Here is a different install
Installation Kits
2 stroker
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a small 30 gallon unit I use to fuel my equipment, if I need fuel, I just pull off and pump it in my truck tank through the filler neck. Heck, when I was on a trip last Summer I got 22 mpg hwy................with my main tank, that's 70 gallons or 1400 miles of travel without re-fueling...............that will do!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help guys.
@ WDCDAVE, sorry to hear that you put in the wrong way up, that SUCKS!
The pump idea is nice, but as usual I forgot to mention that I am putting a pump on the top of the tank to fuel up equiptment with. Don't really want to have two pumps on it.
I like the idea of going through the overflow tube. BUT, without a check valve is the fuel cap safe enough to use as a stopper? Also it puts a little bit of stress on the tank seal if it is always in fuel.
I know about the weight, with the tank full it will be well over 1,000 pounds. I don't plan to run it full all the time. (I figure I will get about 2,000 miles out of both tanks at 16mpg, and NJ is only 25 min from my house, so I should be able to go once a month and fill it up)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is my setup. Pulls fuel right out of the top from a cap that was drilled and tapped and has a feed line installed. Fuel is filtered as soon as it leaves tank (a must in my opinion). It then goes through a hole in the bet to the pump which is a Diesel only electric fuel pump that Advance Auto sells for $65. It is then routed to a T-connector in the vent line of the filler neck. T-connector was $3 at car quest. All hooked to a toggle in the dash. Also have a design where it comes on automatically if the low fuel warning is tripped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.