Price on an 03 6.0 excursion 4x4... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Price on an 03 6.0 excursion 4x4...

Hello everyone, I am looking at a white and tan 2003 excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer with pretty much all the options (backup camera, dvd, etc...) Has sct, exhaust, and intake as well. Only thing im worried about is its never had any work on head studs and has 145k miles. I can probably pick it up for $14. Does that sound like a good deal? Not real sure what the excursions go for.

Thanks in advance.

-Clayton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

well man we just got an 04 excursion eddie bauer, it had 103K on the clock and we picked it up for 21 grand.. I noticed a huge price jump going from an 02-03 to a 04-05.. ours is super clean and it was well worth it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Emergency Services

From the reading I've done the early build 03's are the ones to stay away from.

Having said that if you did your research, brought a monitor on the test drive and everything checked out $14k is a good price, just know what you're getting into.

When we were shopping for ours we liked the look of the 05 better and the 03's had the most negative press so when I started looking I looked for an 05. Would I steer clear of an 03 now that I've learned a little? Straight up NO... I've learned enough to realize that there are products out there to make any 6.0 bulletproof. If you can turn a wrench (or want to learn how) for $14 you could put $10k into it and come out with a great bulletproof truck. At $21 for an 05, when you put $10k into it you have a more expensive, great bulletproof truck!

Regarding the one you're looking at... head studs are not the issue with the 6.0. The issue is maintenance, oil changes and more specifically coolant. If the coolant is neglected it clogs the oil cooler. The clogged oil cooler overheats the EGR cooler. The overheated EGR cooler ruptures and you get coolant into the cylinders. The coolant in the cylinders increases the pressure in the heads. The increased pressure stretches the head bolts. The stretched bolts blow the head gaskets. Or something close to that!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the great info guys. I am going to look at it Friday again and will hopefully be buying it! I'll post some pics if I do.

-clay
Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM
MARSOC > Seals

I'd say go for it. I paid $19,500 for mine with 98k miles

I'm also the second owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.