SCT SF3 or X3? What's the difference? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SCT SF3 or X3? What's the difference?

Looking at getting an SCT tuner but not sure if I should get the SF3 or X3. The only difference I can find is that the X3 has 3 custom tunes, and the SF3 already comes with 3 tunes right out of the box, but is also capable of storing 3 custom right?

I want to be able to turn off any codes when I do my EGR delete, can they both do that?

Which would yall suggest for a mostly daily driver, I pull a boat on occasion and later on down the road I'll be getting a gooseneck flatbed. I'm not into racing or anything crazy, at least not until I get studs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
X3 Is just a flash programmer that you would remove after uploading your tune via the OBDII. if you dont have a monitoring solution such as an edge cts or the mentioned SF3, I'd go with the sf3.

Look to our vendor sponsors for tunes. Innovative has a great ones but I'd like to hear more options, anyone?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I have the SF3. The only downside to getting the SF3 over the X3 is cost.

Your correct the X3 doesn't have "canned tunes". Most people hate canned tunes, but if you can only store three custom tunes on either one, having the option for canned tunes was worth the small price difference.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
X3 Is just a flash programmer that you would remove after uploading your tune via the OBDII. if you dont have a monitoring solution such as an edge cts or the mentioned SF3, I'd go with the sf3.

Look to our vendor sponsors for tunes. Innovative has a great ones but I'd like to hear more options, anyone?
The SF3 isn't really a monitor. It can datalog, but so can the X3
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 PM

Ah I see I'm not too familiar with sct's line. I do know that I'm in the market for some custom tunes and an egr delete. Any good package deals from some vendors? (not quite fully hijacked )
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM

awesome guys thanks for the info! i think im gonna go the custom tunes route with the x3 since i plan on getting an edge insight cs for monitoring anyways.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxc View Post
awesome guys thanks for the info! i think im gonna go the custom tunes route with the x3 since i plan on getting an edge insight cs for monitoring anyways.
Good call on the monitor. I use an insight cst for monitoring and I love it.

Just to clarify for anyone else who sees this thread, the SF3 stores three custom tunes as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All of SCT's tuners hold custom tunes, the SF3 also has the "canned tunes" it will also hold 3 custom tunes, I have always believed to get the SF3 because the can tunes are there for all the Fords they support except for the 6.4 and the 6.7, if you trade in the 6.0 and get another vehicle supported by the tuner you will already have tunes on it for the new vehicle, plus the canned tunes are not that bad for the diesels, the canned performance" tune will add about 120 hp to your vehicle. Also the last thing is a resale value on the tuner, if it is an X3 they will have to buy the tuner and then custom tunes right away for the vehicle, if it is an SF3 they will have tunes already on the device, definitely a good decision on the edge montor
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBoss View Post
All of SCT's tuners hold custom tunes, the SF3 also has the "canned tunes" it will also hold 3 custom tunes, I have always believed to get the SF3 because the can tunes are there for all the Fords they support except for the 6.4 and the 6.7, if you trade in the 6.0 and get another vehicle supported by the tuner you will already have tunes on it for the new vehicle, plus the canned tunes are not that bad for the diesels, the canned performance" tune will add about 120 hp to your vehicle. Also the last thing is a resale value on the tuner, if it is an X3 they will have to buy the tuner and then custom tunes right away for the vehicle, if it is an SF3 they will have tunes already on the device, definitely a good decision on the edge montor
Not entirely true. SCT sold X-2's that were canned only, and there are two different versions on the X-3. The original X-3's can hold canned and custom tunes, and newer style X-3's only hold custom tunes.

What to look for when buying used SCT for 6.0
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 AM

some good info in this thread, thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.