here is my auto enginuity results (hard cold starts) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
here is my auto enginuity results (hard cold starts)

truck runs fine and starts fine when it is warm out or the truck is warm. also starts easy when i have it plugged in if its under 40 degrees out. But if it is not plugged in and the motor is cold it takes a few times and long cranking to start. i could just keep plugging it in but i would rather get the thing right. i was thinking of having my injectors rebuilt? is that a bad idea?
here is a link to holderdown performance where you can have your injectors tested? they say they " test and reset pop off pressure and do some internal modifications to the injector to increase fuel flow."

Warren Diesel Stock Injectors

it seems like that would be worth a shot. i don't plan on doing this work so what should i expect to pay to get this done. (change all the injectors)

well here is what that scan told me. what would you do? i tried revx and it did not clean them out or get any better on the cold starts.

what numbers should i be looking at and watching when i get hooked back up to the computer? thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadman View Post
truck runs fine and starts fine when it is warm out or the truck is warm. also starts easy when i have it plugged in if its under 40 degrees out. But if it is not plugged in and the motor is cold it takes a few times and long cranking to start. i could just keep plugging it in but i would rather get the thing right. i was thinking of having my injectors rebuilt? is that a bad idea?
here is a link to holderdown performance where you can have your injectors tested? they say they " test and reset pop off pressure and do some internal modifications to the injector to increase fuel flow."

Warren Diesel Stock Injectors

it seems like that would be worth a shot. i don't plan on doing this work so what should i expect to pay to get this done. (change all the injectors)

well here is what that scan told me. what would you do? i tried revx and it did not clean them out or get any better on the cold starts.

what numbers should i be looking at and watching when i get hooked back up to the computer? thanks for any input.
Well, looks like you might have two bad injectors. What is your FICM voltage during a cold start? Test Key On/Engine Off, and Key On/Engine Running. Both readings need to be >45 VDC. If not, it's possible your FICM is bad and is triggering erroneous injector fault codes.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
Well, looks like you might have two bad injectors. What is your FICM voltage during a cold start? Test Key On/Engine Off, and Key On/Engine Running. Both readings need to be >45 VDC. If not, it's possible your FICM is bad and is triggering erroneous injector fault codes.
The test that will likely show the lowest voltage reading would be taking the reading while cranking the engine over. This is when the highest load is placed on the FICM and when it will usually show the problem.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok. I will test the FICM and get back with what I found out. Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

here are the following things I would look at.

FICM main ( I think but I don't my mine in front of me)
Intake air tempature 1 (not volts)
intake air tempature 2 (not volts)
EOT
ECT

In the morning with the truck (not) plugged in during (KOEO) IAT1 IAT2 ECT and EOT should be close.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM

hows this going for you?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 AM

I am sitting in the cold 23 degrees truck right now with the computer.
I did not try to start the truck yet
Intake air 34
Intake air 2 -4

FICM logic power 12.00
FICM vehicle power 12.00
FICM main power 48.50

Engine oil temp 4.28

When I did the injector buzz test it sounded like more of a chopped up clicking on cylinders 1 4 And 7 those sounded diffrent as I did the test a few more times. (maybe they had the right pressure in them after doing the test 5 times?)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 AM

if you can look at these sensors and give me the reading first thing before you start it in the AM.

Engine oil tempature sensor
Engine coolant tempature
Intake air tempature 2
Intake air tempature

the first three should be very close to one another. also your IAT2 sensor has the same issue mine done read about my issue here. link scroll down till you see a post by Zachary Shives talking about the IAT2 sensor. I'm most likely going to need a new PCM, but checking one more thing out harness wise. your IAT2 sensor should not read that low unless your EOT and ECT is that low as it reads air temp inside the motor. This would cause a richer condition on start up. also if you watch when you run the truck for a couple miles and put head into it and shut down and then restart that sensor will now read correctly.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM

also what oil do you run and have you tried RevX, have you checked the AMPs going to each set of glow plugs with a amp meter?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 AM

About 800 miles ago I put in rotella and 2 bottoles of revx in. I also cleaned the Egr valve, it was not that bad in there and there was no trace of Coolent.

No I did not check glow plug amps yet.

I do have a friend coming over later that might be able to check the volts on a few things for me. Where should we look and what should we be looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.