Fumoto valve idea, anyone tried this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fumoto valve idea, anyone tried this?

I had a thought last night after reading a few threads about flushing and using the Fumoto valves. Do they make 90 degree valve with a threaded connection? I was thinking about using them on both sides of the block, tied together with to a garden hose fitting to do a back flush, to help get more of the cr@p out of it. I have an extended warranty, so if it plugs up the cooler, so be it, I'd be getting a new one for "free", and maybe could even talk them into doing a few upgrades while they're in there. One thing I'd like to know though, is should I fill it back up with Ford gold for a little while after doing the flush (1-2 weeks should hopefully be enough time to see if the cooler is crapping out on me) in case they have questions about the coolant during warranty service. Would it coat the insides that quickly, or just give it a few good flushes (5-7!) and switch to the good stuff after the cooler is in?

All the Fumoto valves I've seen referenced here are the nipple type, if they make the threaded style not sure if they would fit around the starter on that side of the block. Another idea I had was to possibly hook up a shop vac to try and help with the evac of the block, after routing it to a 5 gal bucket to remove most of the water before it hit the vac. Interesting ideas, I'll have to give that one more thought. Now only if it was 75 and sunny outside..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

To focus on your question...I would just get a garden hose adapter with a barbed end to put a silicone hose on. That way you can use the fumoto valve with the nipple and still be ale to do the back flush. You are essentially doing the same thing this way, but you are using the parts that you already know how and where to order.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Matt, my only concern would be that the hose/connection wouldn't stand up to the pressure, and it would pop off. I didn't describe the connection very well, if the valve outlet size would support it, I was thinking of running a 1/2" copper or braided SS line to each, and then to a block which goes from the two 1/2" lines to a garden hose fitting. You might even be able to rig it up with a port to add pressurized air with the water, for better cleaning/flushing action? Good thing it's the middle of winter and I won't be doing this for 4-5 months, lots to time to flesh it out, and determine if it's a good idea, and how to put it together. Maybe I'll patent it, & call it the Uber 6.OH! flushing system...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

I gotcha. If all else fails you could always thread the threadless nipple of the fumoto valve...
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

True, but from looking at the pics of the available clearance of the starteron one of the flushing threads, it would be hard to get a line thru there without shorting something out. I'll keep my eyes pealed, I could always take one to a machine shop and have them cut the nipple off and drill and tap the valve to accept a brass 90 degree like we use on dishwasher installs. Fairly compact, should fit if the valve was tap-able. I'd def prefer one already with the 90 built in, if it was made, of course.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your worried about it popping of the nipple on the valve you could always get a small hose clamp and put on it to keep it from coming off
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Whatever you end up making be sure it's wifi controllable via PDA.

That way you can sit in the cab and operate the valves.

D
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM

I don't think you'd gain anything from back flushing thru the valves except dropping the #30 Torx bit off the oil cooler cover into the valley.

To my limited knowledge it's a long way thru the block to reach the oil cooler or an exit for the water.

Also how would you pressurize the Distilled water, as Tap water is crap when it comes to flushing.

D
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Almost positive I've seen a fumoto with a right angle and threaded. But wouldn't you rather have volume rather than pressure to do a thorough flush job? The fumoto I'm thinking of cant have more than a 3/8 inch opening. You'd be flushing for days with that small volume of water. I'm also not sure i'd flush with tap water either?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Here is a great flush with all the parts needed listed
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.