Egr delete + what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Egr delete + what?

My uncle has a 05 6.0. Egr trouble on an intermittant bassis. He thinks the truck has an aftermraket 4" exhaust as ots only mod. I havent seen the truck yet so it could be stock for all i know. He wants to fix or delete the egr problem but wont fix it right with out some guidance. I see there are plenty of kits available for less than $400 but dont know what would be the best between cost and labor, as the 2 highest concerns. Id like a educated opinion on but mostly the additional products that would compliment it the most. I see straight up pipes, chips ect. There has got to be a simple bang for the buck recipe that i could "sell" to him. He does not have any desire to mod the truck otherwise but if the driveability and mileage would increase those would have to be the reasons. Thanks. If i could have a simple educated response on a proven value recipe it would be very appreciated.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This link here pretty much sums it up.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

If he's had multiable issues with the EGR cooler failing, his oil cooler may be blocked.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
information regurgitator

Find yourself a cheap EGR delete kit on e-bay. It will run you under $200.
Installing the kit is not that difficult. You could do it in an afternoon if you have mechanical ability and the tools.
His '05 may kick a CEL (check engine light) due to the egr delete. The PCM uses a few sensors to detect egr flow, and with a delete, will throw a code. There are two ways around this. One is to buy an SCT tuner and have a custom written tune for the truck which would exclude egr valve operation. This will run you right around $350-$400. There is another way to get rid of the light. This way requires that you get your name on a list for a programmer and reflash the ECM/TCM (parts of the PCM), altering the stock programming. This will cost you $150. There will be a wait time from 4 - 12 weeks for the programmer and you have to put up some cash for a deposit (to ensure they get their programmer back).
The single most important thing your uncle could add to his truck is the proper gauges. Those dash gauges are just a cruel joke that the engineers played on all the buyers of the truck. They aren't worth a damn, and give little to no true indication as to what is going on under the hood. There is a link in my signature line "basic info" that you should check out. It will run down what he should be watching, why and when to stop and fix something.
The continued egr cooler failures makes me wonder if the oil cooler is actually at fault. Has it been replaced at the same time as the egr coolers that failed? If not, he is only replacing the part that failed and not addressing the cause of the failure. The coolant exiting the oil cooler is what feeds the egr cooler. If the oil cooler becomes clogged within the coolant passages, that will slow the coolant flow to the egr cooler, causing the failure. You need to address them together.
A good cooling system flush prior to those repairs is very important. You want to get rid of all the junk in the cooling system so that the new oil cooler does not become plugged up quickly.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depending on what year truck he may have to get a tuner like SCT with custom tunes to shut off EGR code so it doesnt throw a check engine light lilpooh is right tho check the Delta temps and take a look at a bulletproof EGR cooler they have a 0% failure rate and you dont need the tuner
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot guys. Ill rea up. The egr problem has to my knowledge been one problem that ha never been fixed but with a symptom that is periodic. It'll drive ik then all the sudden smokes and dosent have power and then sort of cleans up then its ok. If that helps. Just going on his info.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To check for EGR cooler failure, have him get the truck up to operating temp, park the truck so the nose is lower than the rear or jack up the rear, let cool down over night, the next day remove the EGR valve and look in the intake for wetness/coolant. If he finds coolant in the hole of the intake where the EGR valve was, his EGR cooler has failed. Which means its a good chance the oil cooler has failed.

NYC F350 has explained the domino effect caused by a blocked up oil cooler.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sweet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.