Amsoil Intervals - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil Intervals

I just spent a few hours looking at Oil Change interval threads but didn't find too much from owners using Amsoil. I run 5w40 Amsoil now and I am not sure what to change it at. I know Ford says 5000 or 7500 but thats not synthetic oil. From everything I have read people are changing between 3000-15000 without bypass filter on a variety of oils. Amsoil runs $130 for 4 gallons and filter with the preferred customer price, So I would like to change at 10000 but I am not sure or 7500 with fuel filters everyother. I know I can always do an analysis but I would like to hear your opinions.

My assumption before the 6liter was you can pretty much double oil change intervals between conventional and synthetic. That doesn't seem to be the trend except a few people going to 15000.

So the question is specifically amsoil users and other synthetic oil users without bypass filters what interval are you using? and post type of oil please.

Last edited by BDSford03; 01-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
in a gasser they run 1 year 15k miles under extreme conditions. best bet is do the oil analysis.
mike
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM

I'm running the same oil as you and will never go over 5k. That's just me and maybe I'm throwing money away. BUT the way I think about it is oil is a lot cheaper then an engine or injectors or a turbo etc...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM

I'm running Amsoil 5w40 and the by-pass oil system and 5000 miles is the max. You may get by to 6-7000 if you don't pull but if you do 5000 just because of the shear of the oil by the injectors and i send my oil in to be sampled also, I look at it this way you pay to play and my truck works when it's pulling my 14,000lbs 5er yours may not work that hard.
2 stroker
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

So far 5000 is it. I understand the better safe than sorry mentality; but if ford says you can do 5000 miles with conventional oil, it seems we should be able to go longer on amsoil.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSford03 View Post
So far 5000 is it. I understand the better safe than sorry mentality; but if ford says you can do 5000 miles with conventional oil, it seems we should be able to go longer on amsoil.

you can go longer, but to me its not worth it, maybe ill go to 7500 but i doubt it.
as said best bet is to do the oil analysis then you will know how long you can go on changes.
there are other benefits from using a high end synthetic than just longer changes.
mike
Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 AM

on mobil1 and a bypass oil filter I go 8,000miles with good results. I am trying 10,000miles this time on mobil1 and will test it again.

BDSFORD03. I strongly suggest going 7,000miles and testing it first before you go any farther. Get it tested by balckstone labs. Depending on how the oil looks and what BLackstone recommends, go further, go up to 9,000 and test again.

But I suggest getting the bypass oil filter. NUC motorsports makes amsoil bypass parts. I got the oil filter mount on ebay for $20 and the oil filter cap for $65 from NUC.

The bypass is what TRULY allows you to go the extra mile on the oil. I doubt you can go past 8,000miles with out a bypass oil filter.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the input! I just changed it today. My goal is 7500 miles and ill get it tested between 6-7.

Smokesteve, I looked on ebay and see that cap and the complete kits from NUC. Do you know if anyone makes a mount that isn't right there on the radiator shroud? I thought in a diesel power mag a few issues ago they put one on a van 6.0 and it was on the frame rail.

Edit: I just looked at the mag. it was a complete BPD oil cooler system. It looks like Amsoils kit can be frame mounted if you have enough line to do it.

Last edited by BDSford03; 01-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM

I change around 7500 and have the oil analyzed by Blackstone labs. Each time the test have come back in the normal ranges, even lower on some. I use the Amsoil 15w-40 but have considered changing to the 5w-40 like a lot of other people do. Not sure yet.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM

I use the 15W-40 Amsoil in mine and I normally go 7000 without a bypass filter. Seems like a decent distance for it. No troubles here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.