Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Powermaxx turbo help!!!!!!

6K views 61 replies 10 participants last post by  hondaracer315 
#1 ·
Hey guys the truck is 350 06 6.0 crew. I have a few questions about the powermaxx I just installed. Number one it doesn't whistle at idle like an 03 turbo even though I straight piped it with an mbrp 4 inch today why not? Number 2 it smokes when spooling it up black smoke until it lights off 2500 rpm why?

And also should I get a chip for it now due to the lag of the turbo? I will be honest I don't know if I like this turbo hopefully a tune will help this truck. I changed out turbos due to the fact that this turbo was dying and I am sick of the problematic stocker. Thanks.

Chris

#3 ·
If you are still on the factory tuning, then yes. Get an x3 with tunes from gearhead, innovative diesel, quicktricks aotomotive.

The pmax on a stock tune is smokey and laggy. Any of these 3 vendors can write a good tune to get the thing to spool up like the stocker. Hope that helps.

#7 ·
I just installed one about a month ago with a batmowheel. I already had tunes so I got updated ones when I installed the powermax and I can say I really like it. I half sec of lag and she's off. I cant stop smiling when I punch it. Mine doesnt whistle at and idle either, but neither did my stocker. 1-4 lbs of boost is the sweet spot for whistling for mine.

#9 ·
Cant say one way or another cause I installed it when I put the turbo in. I can say my 0-60 went from 5.3 to 4.5 sec w/the powermax and batmo. I can punch it at a 15mph roll and break traction too now which I coulnt before. I havent done a long wot run to see how much lower the egt are though yet.

#12 ·
mine barley whistles at idle. But like someone else said at 1-3 pounds of boost, holy cow... Even on the highway its loud as hell

#14 ·
so whats louder a 03 turbo or a powermax?

#16 ·
yea i have a 03 turbo, but i didnt know if the powermax was louder or not. or a good performance upgrade above it. i have heard lately a 03 turbo with a batmowheel is the way to go.

#17 ·
Man if you haven't had tunes b4 watch out its gonna feel like a new animal. I have matts tune and really like it. I'm hoping to try tsd tunes here later this month.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide App

#19 ·
I agree 100%. I just got my truck back from the dealership, and forgot to change my truck back to stock from Matt's SRL+ tune before giving it to the dealer!!! :doh: Needless to say, my truck is stock now - and I'm gonna have to send my X3 Programmer back to get unlocked. My truck is SO SLOW now... :(

#18 ·
A stock 03 with batmo is just as good if not better. Powermax is just a bigger turbo over stock. I like the way my pmax sounds right now, i dont know if i want to add a batmowheel to it.

#20 ·
does a batmowheel make a turbo louder?

#23 ·
I went form a stock 03 Turbo to the Poewermax and the 03 whistled a lot more at idle and even a little more at WOT, but the Powermax definitely moves more air
Have you had your truck dyoned with those mods you have listed?

#24 ·
makes what sound deeper?

#26 ·
haha i know that feeling. so can you feel a difference with the batmowheel?

#27 ·
With upgraded injectors and custom tuning, you can see the results that you gain from having it. You'll probably have that "in the pants feel too", not by much. The batmowheel just helps move more air as well due to its fin design. More air and fuel means Power

#28 ·
got ya, how mcuh is one? if you dont me asking

#29 ·
$400 is how much my batmo cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.