Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Powermaxx turbo help!!!!!!

6K views 61 replies 10 participants last post by  hondaracer315 
#1 ·
Hey guys the truck is 350 06 6.0 crew. I have a few questions about the powermaxx I just installed. Number one it doesn't whistle at idle like an 03 turbo even though I straight piped it with an mbrp 4 inch today why not? Number 2 it smokes when spooling it up black smoke until it lights off 2500 rpm why?

And also should I get a chip for it now due to the lag of the turbo? I will be honest I don't know if I like this turbo hopefully a tune will help this truck. I changed out turbos due to the fact that this turbo was dying and I am sick of the problematic stocker. Thanks.

Chris

#30 ·
ok thanks guys

#31 ·
If your not particular about sound, which im in love with my pmax whistle, i would deff get the batmowheel. It gives me a headache its so loud, i love it

#32 ·
the batmowheel gives you the headache or the pmax? i could never get enough whitsle haha

#34 ·
Yup, the best thing about it is when you're cruising around a parking lot or somewhere slow with lots of people 1-3 lbs is about all you use and everyone look for what that noise is coming from :hehe:

#36 ·
Your running the same setup im looking to do. You should be 550HP and 1100ft lbs, which is what i want. Get her on the dyno lol!

#42 ·
well if yall are saying the pmax is that much louder i would hate to hear to one cause i ould have to buy one haa. i get that look with the 03 turbo

#44 ·
Matt has hooked me up with three tunes. 8000 tow,heavy tow, and SRL w/o studs and he deletes the flow of the egg too in all tunes. I just don't know what to do once I get the tuner something about finding a code in the truck vehicle strategy sending him that number then he will give me tunes by email. Idk what to do then. I need a step by step process on how to load custom tunes I have no idea it will be my first time. I need maybe a contact number I can call incase I get stuck in the process any help there? Thanks guys.

Chris

#45 ·
Once you receive the SCT, plug into the OBDII port, the device will power up, scroll down to "vehicle info" hit select, the strategy hex code will there. There are two sets of hex codes, one for the PCM and the other for the TCM. Write down the PCM hex code, for your year truck it should start with the letter "V" so it will look like this "VXCF???". Also write down the device serial number.

Contact Matt with the strategy hex code, device serial number and your mods. He will e-mail you the tunes.

While your waiting for the e-mail and tunes, your gonna need to download the SCT software onto your PC so you can put the tunes on the device. The newer SCT models come with a software disk for your PC. You can also download the software off of SCT website.

After you all set up with your PC and have the tunes in your e-mail, your gonna save the tunes into you PC hard drive. Take note on where you saved them.

Your now ready to plug your SCT into your PC, open up the new SCT icon on your desktop screen. This is the SCT device Updater. Then select "load custom tune file", follow the step.

Typed this from memory, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

#49 ·
Once the tunes are in the SCT device, you plug it into the OBDII port, then it's pretty self explanatory. Just be sure to set your Revs Per Mile correctly. After you have loaded in the tune, your trans will need time to relearn. Drive the truck like a normal civilian for about 20-30 miles, you may notice the shift might be a little harsh, but they will settle down.

Here is one of the most accurate way to calculate your Revs Per Mile.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/158379-tire-revs-per-mile.html

Also read the "sticky" section in the 6.0 performance section. Lots of info on the do's/don'ts of the SCT.

#51 ·
One more thing.

After you have loaded a custom tune onto the truck, the SCT will have saved your stock file onto the device. Hook the SCT back up to your PC and save a copy of your stock file to your PC.

Save a copy of your tunes, including your stock file onto a flash drive. Just incase your PC ever takes a dump, you will have your custom tunes and stock tune. I only say this because, my kids accidentally deleted some of my tunes off my PC. Luckily, I had saved them on a flash drive!! LOL!!

#52 ·
Okay I will do that. Lilpooh can you pm me your personal contact number incase I get into any jams doing this. Like I said this is my first tuner for a truck never done it before. If you don't want to give it out I understand, just trying to get it done before I go back to Alaska with the Air Force. Thanks.

Chris

#54 ·
PM sent. Like kdogg85 said, it's really not that hard. Now setting the time on a VCR, that's a P.I.T.A. LOL!!

#53 ·
It's really not a big deal after the first time you load a tune. When I first got my truck, I spent more time reading how to do things than it took me to actually do the jobs themselves. Do save the stock file on the pc and a flash drive. It's like insurance, something you pay for and hope you never have to use.

You'll be amazed how much power the truck will have after the new tune goes in, unless you put one of the tow tunes on, they feel like stock. If you can put a turbo on, you can load a tune.

#56 ·
Nope, SCT don't support MAC. Which is stupid,because the new iTSX uses your iPhone/iTouch/iPad for gauges and tuner.

#58 ·
Yes you can load all three.

Sent from my HTC Hero S

#59 ·
Okay so once I load them all onto the tuner it will ask me when I plug it into the truck which one I want to use right? I pick that one and load it onto the truck. Im sorry I am asking all these questions I just want to get this done as easy as possible with the least amount of problems. Thanks.

Chris

#60 ·
Yes when you get on a computer it the upload part will give you 3 areas to browse and load 3 tunes. Load them and you are good to go. Like someone else said though, once you have a tune loaded go back to a computer and save your stock file in case something happens, nothing probably will, but just to be safe. Now relax and load them tunes already! You wont screw it up I promise.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.