RevX and rotella Synthetic oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RevX and rotella Synthetic oil

I just switched to synthetic oil. Never have used it before. Been wanting to so I did. I used rotella 5w40. And also put Rev X in it. What is my oil change intervals going to be. I also heard to change filter at 5k but when do I drain and go fresh? And do I also add Rev X everytime I put fresh oil. I'm on a roll with ordering stuff. Just did gauges this past weekend. Waiting on fuel pressure hose to mount sending unit on fender. Next will be complete solution kit with egr delete. Might do the master solution kit if you guys can help me out in building a BA truck in Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

RevX is only indicated if you switch oil and still have stiction. I wouldn't add it until you give the new oil a few days first to see how much difference it makes. Since you already added the RevX, then next oil change, hold off on the RevX until you see what it's like after the oil change.

The filter and oil are changed at the same time, opinions vary between 5k and 7500. Seems like a lot of folks are having their oil analyzed but I'll just go with the flow myself, 5k for me. Motorcraft filters only for oil, fuel and air.

There's a significant amount of old oil that remains after a drain, so it takes several oil changes to completely change the oil. You may find you don't need RevX after a time or two.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
7500 mi on the oil change unless your truck is severe duty used
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
7500 mi on the oil change unless your truck is severe duty used
Myself and alot of the other guys on here change at 5,000. Clean oil is a key part of a good running 6.0
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyguy68 View Post
Myself and alot of the other guys on here change at 5,000. Clean oil is a key part of a good running 6.0
Same here - every 5K the engine oil and filter get changed. Using Mobil 1 5W40 TDT.

Oil is cheap compared to the cost of injectors
Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Per my Blackstone Lab results, Dave is SPOT on. They told me to run past 7,000. I run T6 (yea not the best syn out there) and revX.

I will change around 5,000 when I am tow a TON. Or if there was a lot of short trips.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's my recent "moment of clarity"......

Synthetic oil averages $25+ per gallon and filters are about $20. SO $125 for each oil change is quite a bit to spend. BUT after 186K miles using the 7500 mile oil change interval equals (rounded up) 25 oil changes. $125 x 25 = $3125

Since I still have the original injectors with no issues I have paid for at least one set minus the labor for replacing them (not to mention avoiding the headaches).
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Per my Blackstone Lab results, Dave is SPOT on. They told me to run past 7,000. I run T6 (yea not the best syn out there) and revX.

I will change around 5,000 when I am tow a TON. Or if there was a lot of short trips.
It's good to know that Blackstone is able to confirm the benefits of today's synthetic oils in these trucks. Also great to hear they a recommended change interval of > 7,000 miles for T6. I ran T6 for one 5K interval and my truck didn't seem to like it. It had a miss that was noticeable at idle at all temps, but at the same time I would swear I saw an additional 1 to 1.5 MPG.

Luckily after switching back to Mobil 1 and adding 2 bottles of Rev-X, the miss is gone - but so is the mileage increase
Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am switching to schaeffers 9000 full synth 5 40. 22 a gallon through a rep and they say it's better than amsoil. Uoa's seems to look pretty good
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by neffco View Post
I am switching to schaeffers 9000 full synth 5 40. 22 a gallon through a rep and they say it's better than amsoil. Uoa's seems to look pretty good
I have used it a few times. It was hard to get to the distributor for pick up so I went back to what I could easily find.

All in all there are several brands I will use routinely without question. Valvoline Extreme Blue, Mobil 1, and Rot T6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.