Odd situation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd situation

So, here is the deal. I am having some issues with turbo spooling. But, its not normal, nowhere near normal. I have had quite a few issues with my truck, finally got it running normal, and it has been for several months. So, a friend of mine, who is a mechanic suggested adding a couple ounces of transmission fluid to my diesel fuel along with my standard addition of Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, etc...Well, I did because as many of us know, this was a fairly standard practice by many diesel owners days ago. So, then my issue starts. It had been pretty cold by South Carolina standards many mornings, and the truck ran fine, turbo spooled normally, all was well. Then, in the afternoon, on the ride home, when the days warmed to above about 55 degrees, and the truck got hot, it was as if the turbo did not spool properly. The boost/spooling was slow, and have a bit of a surge, nothing major...between 17-25 psi and then back down to just a few pounds for the rest of the trip home. The next morning, the truck is back to normal. No surge, good, consistent spool. Then, on the trip home, if the temps have risen above 55, the turbo issue starts again. But, on days that the temp does not get above 50-55, there are no problems. The truck is throwing no codes. I have gouged it several times and it seems to "cure" the problem for the rest of the trip home, if not for a few days, and then it starts again. My logic tells me that the transmission fluid may be leading to some "coking" or sticking issues within the turbo. Fuel mileage has stayed up. The only other thing I have noticed is when the speed is below 45 and I am driving uphill, I hear a sound a bit like a 5.9 Cummins(minus the vibration) coming from the underside of the truck/backside of the engine. I have checked the oil levels. No leaking of oil. Oil pressure is good. Checked hoses and intercooler boots for cracks. Those were good. Checked hose to map sensor. Checked air filter, it was clean. Checked the braided oil filler tube to turbo...Clean and oiling properly. Pulled the truck onto fresh cardboard after cleaning underneath to check for drips/leaks...nothing. I am at a roadblock here and I need some help. Anyone have any ideas? In case you were wondering why I checked the hose to the map sensor from the intake manifold, it was showing symptoms of issues with the MAP sensor which I replaced about 2 years ago, and I feel the issue could be related to pressures or the transmission fluid in the fuel (Which I will never do again). Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM

I searched more yesterday evening...nothing. No cracks, all looks good...But I drove it quite a bit today, and right on time, at around 60 degrees...it started. But, today, she threw codes...A P0699 and a P0470...I think that the issue is likely with the EBP sensor, or possibly the exhaust altogether. I am wanting to upgrade my exhaust...Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Have you ever had the turbo cleaned?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc6.0 View Post
I feel the issue could be related to pressures or the transmission fluid in the fuel (Which I will never do again). Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The burning of the trans fluid may create a higher soot exhaust which could clog things up. The 6.0 is a finicky brat of an engine.
The p0699 code is a computer output circuit code (which I can't find the exact description for).
The other code is for the EBP sensor. You can try to take the sensor off the tube, and stick a piece of wire all the way down the tube to the exhaust manifold to make sure it is not clogged, and clean the tip of the sensor. The PCM uses the EBP sensor to determine the proper boost level (along with the MAP sensor and a few other sensors). Also check to make sure that the brass nipple on the intake manifold is not restricted inside with soot by poking something that you can't drop into the manifold into the hole. You might try cleaning the egr valve (if your egr is still intact).
Failing all of the above, it also sounds as though the vanes in the turbo may be sticking and that a good cleaning may be in order.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:27 PM

As much as I hate to say it, there are a number of people (some techs) that save and burn a fair amount of transmission fluid for fuel. I really do not think that that little amount of it would be an issue for you.

P0470 points to a likely issue w/ an EBP sensor or connector.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
The burning of the trans fluid may create a higher soot exhaust which could clog things up. The 6.0 is a finicky brat of an engine.
The p0699 code is a computer output circuit code (which I can't find the exact description for).
The other code is for the EBP sensor. You can try to take the sensor off the tube, and stick a piece of wire all the way down the tube to the exhaust manifold to make sure it is not clogged, and clean the tip of the sensor. The PCM uses the EBP sensor to determine the proper boost level (along with the MAP sensor and a few other sensors). Also check to make sure that the brass nipple on the intake manifold is not restricted inside with soot by poking something that you can't drop into the manifold into the hole. You might try cleaning the egr valve (if your egr is still intact).
Failing all of the above, it also sounds as though the vanes in the turbo may be sticking and that a good cleaning may be in order.
The P0699 is for a Map/Baro correlation fault. The P0470 is for the EBP sensor. I will take the sensor out today and see what I get. The turbo has only about 4,000 miles on it...I may need to take it apart, but I sure hope not. I do not have the EGR valve as I have RCD EGR delete kit on it. I cleaned the brass nipple on the intake manifold a few days ago, or probed it. It changed nothing. I feel like it is more of a backpressure issue related to the exhaust side of things...Likely the EBP sensor...Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
As much as I hate to say it, there are a number of people (some techs) that save and burn a fair amount of transmission fluid for fuel. I really do not think that that little amount of it would be an issue for you.

Yeah, I was a bit hesitant about it myself, but I knew it was an "old trick" and this guy is a mechanic using several 6.0's for towing and with great success. The deal is, he tows a bit more than I do which may be just enough to keep the turbo and exhaust side clean. I am pretty sure it is the EBP sensor. Will cleaning help much, or should I just replace it. I am looking at aftermarket exhaust systems now, maybe I should just do it all in one swipe.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM

maybe romping this piss out of it for a day might get everything unclogged ive heard that can help with 6.0s....
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red '97 View Post
maybe romping this piss out of it for a day might get everything unclogged ive heard that can help with 6.0s....
That seems to help it most of the time...When I stomp it once or twice, or even feather the throttle a bit, it seems to clear up the issue, sometimes for days. Thats why I feel like it is soot, but where...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post

Older diesels with mechanical injection pumps, such as the Bosch pumps and injectors found in teh early VW diesels.....it is normal at filter changes to fill the filter with ATF. Really cleans the pump and injectors well. I'd be afraid to do that to a 6.0.....with all these sensors and electronics, not sure the computer would know what is going on! I also suspect the injectors on the Powerstroke have closer tolerances.....if teh stuff cleans too well, could cause some issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.