Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need new tires any suggestions?

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  niftytwofifty 
#1 ·
Hey gang, well definetly time for a new set of rubber on my 06 250 I'm looking for some advice on what tires to get. I'm currently running cooper discoverer st's that I'm not overly impressed with. I want to stay with my stock size 275/70/r18. Thanks for the help guys.

#2 ·
I'll save you the trouble of considering bridgestone dueler A/T revo 2s

I wore mine down to 4/32 in 15,000 miles. They wore evenly with regular rotation/dead on alignnment and they are very quiet tires. They just didn't last worth a damn

#14 ·
Ouch...that is something I did not want to hear. I just put a set of them on my truck, so I guess they will be replaced shortly.

#3 ·
Ive had the Toyo A/Ts on 2 trucks, great on the road, but would prob get stuck in wet grass. My next will be the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Have heard nothing but great reviews. Ofocurse another tire you cant go wrong with is the ole BfGoodrich A/T.

#4 ·
Tires are like wine, its all what you like and need!

Currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers, seem great! Have ran BFG ATs in the past - great tire for 50k miles! Also General AT2s are doing very well for me too (at 30k and still much winter life left on the 03 gasser).

The worst I have had are the Terra Grapplers. 75% gone at 10k, 15k very little remaining, 20k all out slicks. Even a full tread, I would have to put it in 4x4 to even move in the grass. lol

Rotated every 5-6k, towed just like I do on the other tires.

P.S. My current Trails have traction in the Mud, snow, dry, wet AND.....ICE! Yes, these are good on ice. I was worried but they are great!

#26 ·
X2 on the General Grabber AT2's great tire Ive been running them for about 10k now and they still look practically new! Great traction in mud, snow, dirt... pretty much everything Ive put them through. Highly recomended and the price good too.

#6 ·
That is not the first positve feedback I have heard about them. Post up some stats and picks. I am not familar with the tire or its cost. Wouldnt mind seeing whats up with them! :thumb:

#8 ·
I agree with this, but if you want more aggressive tire I would look hard at Nitto's. I am on slippery boat ramps all the time so to aggressive is bad for me, then with the snow in winter I needed some traction. With the 02 got 55k out of the Nitto Trails so the second set went on this fall, hope to see the same. They are quiet and don't kill me in the heavy road ruts like the BFG always do. never again will I buy the Bridgestones 20 to 25k max.

#9 ·
I do some off-roading every once-in-a-while. The Goodyear DuraTracs are working well for me. I do not notice any particular "wandering" that some have talked about. They are great in the mud and they look like they are a 60k mile tire (but I don't do very many hard accelerations or hard braking).

#10 ·
ive got firestone destination ATs on mine for 15k and there doing ok, they really dont like the SRL tune though, will probably go BFG ATs next time

#11 ·
On a side note, if you do a lot of heavy hauling or towing, then I just thought I'd throw in the idea of upgrading to 19.5" commercial tires. You can pick up a set of 19.5" aluminum wheels and tires for probably under $2500. It sounds expensive at first but, a good set of stock tires will probably set you back around $600, plus you can sell off your stock wheels for some cash. The beautiful thing is, the 19.5" tires will last way longer, maybe 2-3x longer in some circumstances and they provide way more load capacity. When we were hauling our camper on the old truck we had around 7,500lbs on the rear axle and it was pushing the limits of our tires big time. Just an FYI if you're hauling big time.

Otherwise, I would recommend BFG M/T's stock.

#12 ·
Depends on what you want to spend. I just had some work done to my truck right before Christmas so money was tight and I had to have new tires put on (developed a sidewall leak) so I went with Yokahama Geolander AT/S in stock size 235/75/16 for me and got them for $650 out the door with alignment. I wanted a more aggressive tread but for now will work being in Vegas. They do pretty good but wander a bit on the concrete grooved frwys around here.

#15 ·
I had a set of the Geolandars on my Landcruiser and they were excellent tires. I put another set on my brother's LC as well and he has been very happy too. It takes a while for the tires to break in.

I was going to get them for my 6.0, but the problem is that they are not E rated and not suitable for towing heavy loads. They are softer on the sidewall. Otherwise, I would have purchased them.

#13 ·
My truck has a brand new set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I've had them in mud and snow and they seem great. I know some other guys that have them on half tons and got 50-60k miles out of a set.

#17 ·
OEm on my truck were BFG's 265-75r-16. They lasted 62K. I switched to General AT Grabbers, 285-75r-16. The tred appears to be identical. I have 20 K on them and they still look like new. No problem with snow or water.

#22 ·
Beware of Generals. I had a blowout pulling my travel trailer at 65 mph and am lucky my family is still alive. I crossed four lanes of traffic and missed a concrete barrier by a few feet. I tried to get one replaced 8 days before this and the general dealer said there was not a problem with the tire. Good luck.

#23 ·
Funny how all these tire shops give diff answers. For the size I have they would only mount E range on my truck for the road hazard warranty.

#25 ·
I'm running a set of cooper st maxx. I only got about 3000 miles on them and so far so good. Great traction in the snow and not loud on the highway for how agressive they are. And they look awsome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.