what things to do to make her last - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what things to do to make her last

Hi everyone
I would like to get my 07 F-350 to run like it is now (195,000 miles) for that many more if I can.
A little history
Bought brand new, first winter , fuel filter gelled up and starved for fuel, ford was nice enough to replace 2 injectors , and over the next two years I think all the rest got changed 2 at a time, had head gaskets and an oil leak fixed , all under warranty and had an emergency FICM replacement done by ford out of state. 1200.00 installed!
It runs PERFECT now, stone stock and happy. I read that I have a ticking time bomb,,, EGR cooler and some frost plug ? I feel like I have plenty of power, but would like to at least do an EGR delete and CAT delete. What else should I do to prevent a problem if I can. Don't see Banks products mentioned on this site much, ? seems like the gauges look nice?
Thanks for the people that know all this stuff and are willing to share
Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely get gauges. At a miniimum you need to watch oil temp, coolant temp, boost, system voltage (or FICM voltage depending on the type of gauges you get), fuel pressure and EGT (pyro).

DO you still have the snap-to-connect fitting on the HPOP discharge? If so, this is a frequent failure point (along with several components in the high pressure oil rail).

If you are happy w/ the power and really only want logevity, I would look into these items. If you decide on an EGR delete, that would be a good time to go ahead and change the oil cooler out and do the work on the HPO system.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply
not sure how to tell on the snap to connect fitting.

I see Banks adds everywhere, is their "gauge" able to show all these things?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 AM

Get an OASIS report from Ford. If the STC fitting were replaced it would have been done so under warranty and would be on that report.

I have a Banks exhaust, but don't know anything else about their products except they are a little too pricey for me. The Edge CTS is probably the best all-around value for an electronic gauge unit, but the scangaugeII is the best price (although some people have called it cheezy - lol).
Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

I'll second the getting gauges first, and as I have the CTS and am happy with it, I recommend it highly. Not the cheapest, but I believe in investing in good tools, they usually work better and last longer.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If it's an '07 as stated it does have the bad STC HPOP fitting. I have the Edge Insight CTS and I love it, it monitors everything I need to plus you can add ANY gauge you want to it.

If you have not done it already flush it and get some Cat EC-1 and a coolant filter. Do the EGR delete that you want to do, leave the valve in place and plugged in or it will throw a CEL. You might want to look into the BPD oil cooler, it's pricey but it's worth it. Do a CCV mod also, mine is DIY and it works great. Blue spring upgrade if not already.

All of that is going to run you into the $2500 range but its worth it. The BPD oil cooler is $1900 alone.http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=147
Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Get an OASIS report from Ford. If the STC fitting were replaced it would have been done so under warranty and would be on that report.

I have a Banks exhaust, but don't know anything else about their products except they are a little too pricey for me. The Edge CTS is probably the best all-around value for an electronic gauge unit, but the scangaugeII is the best price (although some people have called it cheezy - lol).

If he bought it new then he knows what all has been done to it.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
If he bought it new then he knows what all has been done to it.

oops - missed that! Sounds like he has 195k on the STC fitting. Pretty good.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
If it's an '07 as stated it does have the bad STC HPOP fitting. I have the Edge Insight CTS and I love it, it monitors everything I need to plus you can add ANY gauge you want to it.

If you have not done it already flush it and get some Cat EC-1 and a coolant filter. Do the EGR delete that you want to do, leave the valve in place and plugged in or it will throw a CEL. You might want to look into the BPD oil cooler, it's pricey but it's worth it. Do a CCV mod also, mine is DIY and it works great. Blue spring upgrade if not already.

All of that is going to run you into the $2500 range but its worth it. The BPD oil cooler is $1900 alone.BulletProof Engine Oil Systems
I ordered a coolant filter today and will get the edge cts on order tomorrow. making a run from northern MN to southern TX next week, I'm all wound up with thoughts of egr failure in route, can't wait to get rid of that thing
Thanks for your suggestions
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
A lot of NOS and or Propane. Then a bunch of boosted 4x4 launches. JK. These guys have you on track!

Gauges, address the coolant and filter it, ditch that EGR cooler if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.