Help to decipher OASIS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help to decipher OASIS

I'm terrible at introductions, so hey everyone

Well, now that that's out of the way lol! I'm looking at picking up an X for my Wife and I've come across one that I'm really considering purchasing. Super friendly member from here was nice enough to hook me up with an OASIS report, but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for... There's plenty of stuff on the report (including a trans issue and an EGR valve replacement), but I'm not sure if this is stuff that should be keeping me from considering this vehicle. Only other diesel vehicle I've ever owned was my Duramax and I loved that truck. Unfortunately, with my growing family, I need something with a bit more people carrying capacity and GM wasn't smart enough to stuff the DMax in the Suburban.

Anyway, on to my point... I have this nice OASIS report that tells me a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm not sure what red flags I should be looking for that might be screaming, "run away!" Would anyone be willing to help a brotha out and take a look at it with me?

Rather than post the whole thing here (and make this thread super long), I've hosted the report here to make it a bit easier...

I really appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Thanks!!

David
Confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Since you are shopping. Protect yourself and buy an Edge Insight, or a Scangauge II to take with you. Test as much as you can on all vehicles. And when you are done and purchased the vehicle, you will then have the beginning of gauges for your ride.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a scanner I was planning on taking with me so I could get some readings... I'm planning on getting

ECT
EOT
FICM voltage

I'll also check for any DTCs. Anything else I should look for?

Thanks for the suggestion!

David
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Your Oasis is quite a list. Most of it was minor body stuff. Surprised at all the A/C work. Wonder if they ever figured out the Stench.

Some recall stuff should have been done to all vehicles. Mine did.

EGR was replaced, don't see any mileage listings. So, not sure when that problem arose.

See the most recent one was FICM work. 04s had chaffing issues, so by 09 they knew about those spots and hopefully fixed that issue.

Also got the updated EGR hose. Those failed a lot. I replaced mine. One less thing to worry about.

All and all, looks like the bugs were worked out.

I see no issues with oil cooler and EGR cooler, which doesn't mean anything. That is the one issue you will check with ECT vs.EOT test.

Any maintenance records?

Test FICM readings when engine is cold, then road test it up to operating temps, then check ECT vs EOT.

Does your scanner check ICP, IPR, volts?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From this line Details 12047228 35 1.2 CASA FORD LINCOLN 32019 20-AUG-07 4C3Z 9F452 A 677058A I guessed the mileage was 32,019 for the EGR replacement... I may be reading this thing wrong, though...

Other than that though, sounds like nothing screams lemon? Still have to ask on the maint records when I go take it for a spin...

Sounds good on the FICM readings - I'll definitely do that!

My scanner should be able to to voltage and IPR, but don't think it does ICP. I'll double check when I get home, though...

Thanks again for your input man - just what I was looking for!

David
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

You are right about the mileage, I missed that.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
You are right about the mileage, I missed that.
I'm not as look as I stupid!

David
Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Emergency Services

You've got some good advice there. I'm not sure how much you've read/know so here's some additional info to go with it.

Watch the FICM voltage on a cold start to see if it drops during and right after starting. It should stay around 48V. If it drops one or both batteries could be going, the alternator could be going or the FICM could be going. These are all easy to check and replace.

For the ECT and EOT find a flat stretch of highway after the truck is warm (ECT at 190), cruise at 65MPH and check the difference between oil and coolant temps. If the oil is 15 or more degrees hotter than the coolant the oil cooler needs to be replaced.

Good luck! You'll love the Ex more than a suburban!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRacer View Post
I'm not as look as I stupid!

David
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! We went and did our test drive on Saturday and it didn't go all that well lol! To start, my stupid scanner was randomly dropping data, so my scan turned out pretty much useless. But, it didn't matter much...

So we jump on the freeway and so far so good - accelerates nicely and feels nice and solid; no shimmies, wobbles, or vibrations. Got up to about 90 mph and then eased back down to about 70 and cruised on the freeway for a bit; got off the freeway and waited at the off ramp. Light goes green and I hit the go pedal - no dice. Feels like I'm out of diesel. Strange... Salesman says, "feels like it's flooded..." I'm like, "no." lol! Make it around the corner and all I keep thinking is that I'm gonna have to get towed back to the dealership. I catch every damn red light between the freeway and the dealership and it does the same thing every time I accelerate - stumble stumble stumble. After the second red light, though, I finally catch on; at about 2k rpm I hear the turbo spool and it takes off like a rocket! I look back and see the biggest cloud of black smoke EVAR! lol! What's even funnier is that I'm in Silicon Valley, I mean, Scottsdale, AZ and there's a line of snobs behind me in their Benzs, Bimmers, and Bentleys and every time this thing hits 2k it lets out a huge cloud of black smoke that makes their cars completely disappear lol! The salesman was uber embarrassed and I'm laughing my *** off as my Wife giggles in the back seat lol!!! IT WAS AWESOME! lol

Anyway, needless to say, that left a pretty bad impression on my Wife and she really wasn't diggin this X. I'm sure it'll get fixed and it'll be fine, but she was feeling pretty uneasy about the whole thing. Plus, the white smoke at idle and random switches in the cab made me think there may be other issues with this thing that might come up in the future. So, at the end of the day, we're passing on this X and the search continues.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to make some suggestions - time to go get a good scanner (like the Insight) and go on some more test drives.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.