Please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help

Please help-101_2275.jpg

Please help-101_2276.jpg

Please help-101_2274.jpg

Please help-101_2280.jpg

First let me start off by saying that joining this forum was the best money spent in a very long time! Everyone on here has been very informative and the amount of knowledge out there just blows me away!! THANK YOU ALL!

I need some help, I feel there may be a serious issue with my wonderful 6.0..

I purchased this truck pretty much as is with 40K miles on it, and it's been GREAT! It pulls my tractors without even a second thought. For about the last 6 months I've been consuming coolant, and even blowing coolant out of the degas bottle when pulling loads. Well, I received some bad info and was told that the cap on the degas bottle was bad and needed to be replaced. I chose to ignore what I thought was a minor issue. Just recently I started blowing a substantial amount of white steam, and drove the truck about 3 more times (only to take the kiddos to school and back) before the engine became hydro-locked.
So I joined this forum and my head began to spin as I learned what I had to look forward to with this engine. I ordered an EGR delete kit off of EBAY, an oil cooler replacement kit, a turbo rebuild kit, and intake gaskets from the Ford dealership.
Even though this repair is pretty straight forward and can more than likely be done by this novice mechanic, I just want to start by saying I'm just a step above the novice. Not claiming to be a auto/diesel doctor of any type, just want to give a little background on the idiot behind the wrench here.... Certifed auto and diesel tech with a degree from UTI in auto and diesel technology. Let me follow that up by saying, I'm STUMPED here!
I performed the work to clear the hydro-lock, deleted the EGR cooler, cleaned everything, reassembled and performed the cooling system flush, tore it back down and replaced the oil cooler. Once everthing was built back up I fired her up and went for a test drive. It felt GREAT on the surface roads, and I was feeling good. Then I hit the freeway.....
I barely got up to 55 MPH and went to swith into the center lane when I heard a load BANG from under the hood. I lost power. I had enough to get home, just couldn't really accelerate very much. Boost gauge was still measuring. I think this is a good place to stop boring you with all this jibberish and just attach some pictures of what I found when I got home and popped the hood.

Can anyone tell me what in the world happened? I'm super stressed and worried here. Thanks in advance for any help and insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What boost levels did you see?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Looks to me like the the intercooler pipe popped off the intake elbow. That was most likely the loud bang. Wasnt there a clamp that held the intercooler pipe to the intake elbow?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
First off welcome to the forum, Second what codes are being thrown if any, do you have gauges, if so what temps or boost levels were you running. Are you running stock tuning, programmer, custom tunes? Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Mark - I really didn't get into it enough to see an high boost levels, I think the highest I saw was about 10 to 15.

@ a2elvis - When I noticed the pipe disconnected I was thinking that might be the bang I heard. What happened to cause that, and why is there oil in the pipe? I believe the clamp is still in place, is it supposed to be an actual clamp that can be tightened?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
X2, intercooler piping blew off, Replace, check for cracks in the plastic ones and, button it back up. any engine codes? You have alot more oil in your tubes than I do, might consider a CCV mod.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Easiest fix would be if somehow your piping fell off your intake elbow, but lets get back to you losing coolant, how low did you allow it to get and have you searched the head gasket issue on these trucks? If you lost boost that would make your truck have power but would be slow as hell to get you back home. For the oil in your tubes look into the CCV mod
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

macoyle - No good gauges yet, just what I'm seeing on the bully dog outlook. I will run out real quick and check for codes, standby...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 F350 6.0 View Post
Mark - I really didn't get into it enough to see an high boost levels, I think the highest I saw was about 10 to 15.

@ a2elvis - When I noticed the pipe disconnected I was thinking that might be the bang I heard. What happened to cause that, and why is there oil in the pipe? I believe the clamp is still in place, is it supposed to be an actual clamp that can be tightened?
Im sure there is a clamp that can be tightened on that part where the intercooler pipe connects to the intake elbow. Was it there before the teardown?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
Im sure there is a clamp that can be tightened on that part where the intercooler pipe connects to the intake elbow. Was it there before the teardown?

Yes there is a clamp there to be tightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 diesel, 6.0 issue, egr delete, oil cooler, turbo diesel help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.