'06 6.0 Newbie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 6.0 Newbie

Hay guys, just traded my '01 F-250 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 w/277k for an '06 F-250 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 w/137k. Heard many bad things about the 6.0 but the truck drove out well and is very tight and seems to be very well taken care of. It is completely stock besides the gooseneck hidden under the bed. Any words of wisdom would be much apprieciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geraldton
Posts: 732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews


The best thing you can do is read! Read all the stickies in here, read the tech files in here and then start reading whatever you can find about the problems others are having. It'll give you an idea of what to look for so that you catch a problem before it becomes big and expensive.

While you are doing all this reading find either a scangauge II or an edge insight to monitor the engines vitals. Don't get a tuner just a monitor and do it now! It's the absolute most important thing you can do for your truck and your wallet and it will pay for itself sooner than you know. You'll be able to find comparison threads on the two of them if you look.

Oh and I find that searching with google is easier than the forum search, just include powerstroke.org in your search.

Happy reading and ask questions if you can't find an answer the guys on here are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've taken the advise on read up on 6.0 forums reguarding monitoring and tuning. Seems like the SCT livewire is the way to go if you want to spend the money. It seems to have all the monitoring capabilities you need with the ability the have custom tunes on a safe level. I've looked on ebay and they all seem to advertise coming with "3 custom tunes" which sounds good. My question is will it hold more that just 3 tunes if so desired? I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but my plan after alot of reading is: Monitoring via SCT coming with some tunes, EGR delete kit (not too worried about the legalities), and the coolant flush/change ELC conversion. How does this sound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 792
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dont do a coolant flush unless you plan on replacing the oil cooler afterwords. Add a coolant filter instead.

Get a Insight CTS and avoid any tunes until you absolutely know the health of the truck.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: covington
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchap View Post
I've taken the advise on read up on 6.0 forums reguarding monitoring and tuning. Seems like the SCT livewire is the way to go if you want to spend the money. It seems to have all the monitoring capabilities you need with the ability the have custom tunes on a safe level. I've looked on ebay and they all seem to advertise coming with "3 custom tunes" which sounds good. My question is will it hold more that just 3 tunes if so desired? I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but my plan after alot of reading is: Monitoring via SCT coming with some tunes, EGR delete kit (not too worried about the legalities), and the coolant flush/change ELC conversion. How does this sound?
it will only hold three at a time. the edge ct or cts is the way to go for monitoring. yea you can get custom tunes that are safe for stock head bolts. i would highly recommend the egr delete as soon as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So are your saying the SCT livewire is not capable of the monitoring I need? I would not go crazy with the tunes, just thought I could kill two birds with one stone. I read that SCT is the best for tuning. I just assumed it would cover the monituring as well. Is this true or should I go with the Scanguage II and later get the SCT ounce I'm comfortable with my truck to do some tunes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geraldton
Posts: 732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchap View Post
So are your saying the SCT livewire is not capable of the monitoring I need? I would not go crazy with the tunes, just thought I could kill two birds with one stone. I read that SCT is the best for tuning. I just assumed it would cover the monitoring as well. Is this true or should I go with the Scanguage II and later get the SCT ounce I'm comfortable with my truck to do some tunes?

YES that's exactly what I'd recommend.

I haven't looked into the SCT because I don't have any desire to tune the truck, at least not yet, so I'm not sure exactly what it can monitor. From what I've read on here you'll want to find something else (edge or scangauge) to monitor and SCT to tune (and when you do make sure you use custom tunes).

I'm a fan of the Insight CTS because that's what I have and I don't know a lot about the Scangauge. With the CTS I have a nice big screen and with 8 parameters displayed on it I can read all of them easily while on the road. The Insight CT has a smaller screen to display your info so it will be a little harder to read, same for the Scangauge. With either Insight you can hook up more sensors, EGT, fuel pressure, diff temps, outside air temp, turbo timer. Basically if you can put a sensor on it the Insight can measure it. Having said all that, do some research and make your own informed decision. With either one you'll get the basic stuff you need to see and you'll know how your truck is doing.

Like Jason said, don't do anything until you see what's going on with the truck you could end up causing problems that aren't there yet.

If you aren't sure what your looking at once you have a monitor just ask, someone will be able to help you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
[/B]
YES that's exactly what I'd recommend.

I haven't looked into the SCT because I don't have any desire to tune the truck, at least not yet, so I'm not sure exactly what it can monitor. From what I've read on here you'll want to find something else (edge or scangauge) to monitor and SCT to tune (and when you do make sure you use custom tunes).

I'm a fan of the Insight CTS because that's what I have and I don't know a lot about the Scangauge. With the CTS I have a nice big screen and with 8 parameters displayed on it I can read all of them easily while on the road. The Insight CT has a smaller screen to display your info so it will be a little harder to read, same for the Scangauge. With either Insight you can hook up more sensors, EGT, fuel pressure, diff temps, outside air temp, turbo timer. Basically if you can put a sensor on it the Insight can measure it. Having said all that, do some research and make your own informed decision. With either one you'll get the basic stuff you need to see and you'll know how your truck is doing.

Like Jason said, don't do anything until you see what's going on with the truck you could end up causing problems that aren't there yet.

If you aren't sure what your looking at once you have a monitor just ask, someone will be able to help you out.
What he said. I'm not getting any younger, and my eyes aren't getting any better, so for me, bigger is def better, and you can monitor more at once and still be able to read it all. Def happy I bought mine, I will get a separate tuner next year sometime (an SCT X3) and use that for what it's designed for. I like to say using the right tool for the job at hand is always best. You can use a linesman's pliers for a hammer, but would you want to?

The biggest choice you have to make is who's tunes you'd want to go with. There are 3 tuners you will read about a lot around here, Vivian is the tune writer at Quick Tricks Auto, Matt is at Gearhead Auto, and Eric is at Innovative Diesel. Each has many fans around here, it's hard to go wrong with any of the 3. But, that's not the 1st thing you want to do, there are a lot of things you should do to your truck before you start with the perf upgrades, and it sounds like you're on the right track, just keep reading and asking questions, you'll find that people here like to help, and can point you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the zoodad mod worth doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors