Ding Sinister EGR delete, new oil cooler, turbo clean, serpentine belt - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ding Sinister EGR delete, new oil cooler, turbo clean, serpentine belt

Got my 2005 excursion 6.0l last week, bought it used with 135k miles on it. Needed SUV capable ot pulling 9000lbs travel trailer. After 20miles the check engine light came on and Ford dealer diagnosed turbo lag/low pressure, buying with no warranty has its risks . On day 3 now of tackling this myself. This forum has been a fantastic resource to help me. I have never worked on a diesel before.
When I pulled the oil cooler I noticed that the oil screen was ripped as mentioned here as a common issue with the original set up. Just completed the new oil cooler kit installation and I have one o-ring left from the package. There were two in there and I used one inside the cooler cover. Did I miss a step some where?
I noticed the I have the older style turbo oil feed line and drain, based on some threads it seems a good idea to replace to the new version. Anybody think that is overkill?

Does anyody have any tips on removeing the passenger side exhaust pipe bolt from under the car? When I turn the nuts the bolts turn as well but I can not see what the top of the bolt is like.

Also does anybody have a you tube link or instruction for serpentine belt changeout without removing the fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you talking about the manifold to up pipe bolts? The top is a 10mm and the bottom is a 13mm.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Just did the Ford Oil cooler kit myself and had one extra o-ring as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM

You can get the new belt in without removing the fan just have to play with it for a bit. Just make sure its in the correct orientation first so you don't have to pull it back off. I couldn't get to the tensioner that easy so I used the alternator since it was already removed. There is a you-tube video for the belt but its for a special tool.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, yes I was talking about the exhaust manifold to up-pipe bolts. Guess I need to find a way to get a 10mm wrench up in there, wow this is a bigger challenge than I thought.
The turbo vanes were totally seized up, had a tough time getting them off the vane guides on the housing, then the last one: vane guide broke from housing. Will be looking for a new housing now, maybe a used one somewhere? I could leave that one vane out, guess that would cause issues with the variable flow control?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM

There are 3 o rings under the oil cooler cover; 1 at each of the 2 ports and one in the center where a stud passes through.

Some oil cooler covers had a pressed in threaded insert. Some don't have that insert since the threads are cast into the cover.

Assuming that you got the main 3, I would expect that your left over is for the threaded insert that you likely didn't have.

Hemicbx
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton78669 View Post
Thanks for the replies, yes I was talking about the exhaust manifold to up-pipe bolts. Guess I need to find a way to get a 10mm wrench up in there, wow this is a bigger challenge than I thought.
The turbo vanes were totally seized up, had a tough time getting them off the vane guides on the housing, then the last one: vane guide broke from housing. Will be looking for a new housing now, maybe a used one somewhere? I could leave that one vane out, guess that would cause issues with the variable flow control?
3 of the 4 are easy to get a wrech on top. 1 on the drivers side is about impossible. I had a buddy from the top feel his way on there with a wrench but that was with the degas bottle removed. Someone else on here said they bent a wrench and welded a piece of metal to it to make it longer. I would like to see a pic of this.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well my excursion is driving fine now. New turbo works great. It took me a while to get the car back in running order. I learned a big lesson about buying via e-bay/internet as well. The owner Frank of Discount Motor Co. in Corpus Christi is clearly not too concerned about doing the right thing. He must have known that the turbo was not working, but never mentioned that. Pictures did not show the big dings in the passenger door or the broken running board. When I called him later he even agreed to reimburse me for the broken running board, but he never delivered on his promise, after many reminders from me. Buyers beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.